Linux Software RAID (mdadm)

gschiltz

Aug 31, 2014
I haven't yet tried a 5.0 installation, but I was wondering if the PVE installer allows creation of Linux software RAID and then installation of PVE on that RAID? On 4.x, I had to do a manual install of generic Debian first, then (hard to remember, it has been a few years ago) do something else to install PVE on top of that installation. I do remember at the time that this was *not* the recommended/supported way, although it worked fine and the server has been running flawlessly for several years. Alternatively, I could just install PVE on a single disk, create a RAID with another couple of disks, then keep the VMs and other important data on it.

Thanks, I'll read up on ZFS. Just a question to clarify: does the installer let me create the software array and install PVE on it, or do I have to have created the array ahead of time with some other utility? That was the case in 4.x.

for ZFS raid you can do all from installer.
you have option of ZFS raid-1 or ZFS raid-Z I think.

for mdadm raid you need to install Debian first as Debian installer lets you create mdadm raid during install and install on it.
but beware even though Debian installer let you create raid and install on it, only one of the disks are bootable.
you have to install grub on second disk manually after install.
at least that have been mine experience with it.
I think Proxmox ZFS install works better than that.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!