Linux KVM vm´s don´t halt completely

amil

Dec 16, 2015
Spain
Hello,

In Linux KVM virtual machines (and this happens with all Linux distros), when a shutdown is performed, on proxmox vm appears running and in VNC console the message "Halting".

So the virtual machines are ready for shutdown, but i have to force a "hard" stop to shutdown definetively the vm.

Thank you!

Hi,
Do you have acpi enabled on your VMs(acpid installed)?
Or an other alternative would be install Qemu-Guest-agent and enable it in the VM config.

Reactions: amil
Hi,
Do you have acpi enabled on your VMs(acpid installed)?
Or an other alternative would be install Qemu-Guest-agent and enable it in the VM config.
Hi wolfgang, thank you for your suggestions!

I´ve installed acpid on VMs and the same result, with command "halt".

But if i do a "shutdown -h now" the VMs power off correctly (having acpid installed or not).

The other option (qemu-guest-agent) you refer is the option "KVM Hardware Virtualization" in proxmox? Yes, it is active.

So, definetively is working a "shutdown -h now" in order to full shutdown VMS, but it will be useful to know why "halt" is not working as expected.

Regards!

I´ve installed acpid on VMs and the same result, with command "halt".

But if i do a "shutdown -h now" the VMs power off correctly (having acpid installed or not).
If I remember correctly, 'shutdown -h' calls 'poweroff' in the end and not 'halt'. The difference is, that halt stops the system and poweroff - well, powers it off.

HTH

Hi jens, thank you for your reply. Yes, you are right, it seems that halt alone don´t poweroff system, it should be with the -p param (halt -p).

By the way, in my Linux workstations i allways used to poweroff with the single "halt" command and really system halt & poweroff without -p needed, this is the main reason i did´n understand why in VMs the single "halt" not poweroff, i thought that was the equivalent to a shutdown -h :)

is this why when i shutdown my host it hangs if a guest is on? right now I have 2 guests with windows 10, im guessing I need to install qemu agent along with the virtio serial driver to have it power off and not hang, when I press the power button/or shutdown through webinterface

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!