Linux KVM/Proxmox or Hyper-v

GarthK

Feb 7, 2009
I do .Net software dev (C#) but also take care of the dev servers at work. We just got in a new Dell 2950 spec'ed out to be a vm host. I set it up initially with ESXi but later discovered that ESXi doesn't support USB since it's based on a really stripped-down version of BusyBox. Not Good. So now I'm trying to decide what to replace it with. The box is not really "production" but will be critical for people writing software. We are a Microsoft-centric shop so all vm's will be Windows-based Oracle or SQL Server database boxes.

Given that, do you recommend Proxmox or should I stick to MS and load up 2008 Server with Hyper-V? Will the recommendation change when the next version of Proxmox comes out? I know y'all might be just a bit biased but I'll ask anyhow. ;)

Thanx,
Garth

I say go with:

- whatever you like
- whatever your hardware supports / anything within your limits
- depends on your needs

Personally, on my test bench vmware ESX (the trial), Microsoft Hyper-V server, vmware ESXi none of them worked or supported my network card.

After some research I got fedup and did some research where I found proxmox, so I downloaded that and it works on my hardware as its based on Debian linux. Excellent, so now you see I have something to play with.

Go with what your needs are. Mine are (for now) something that works with what I have.

I do .Net software dev (C#) but also take care of the dev servers at work. We just got in a new Dell 2950 spec'ed out to be a vm host. I set it up initially with ESXi but later discovered that ESXi doesn't support USB since it's based on a really stripped-down version of BusyBox. Not Good. So now I'm trying to decide what to replace it with. The box is not really "production" but will be critical for people writing software. We are a Microsoft-centric shop so all vm's will be Windows-based Oracle or SQL Server database boxes.

Given that, do you recommend Proxmox or should I stick to MS and load up 2008 Server with Hyper-V? Will the recommendation change when the next version of Proxmox comes out? I know y'all might be just a bit biased but I'll ask anyhow. ;)

Thanx,
Garth

If you are a developer you need to consider that using opensource technologie will give you full possiblity to automate and accelerate a lot of testing cycles. depending on what you do this is remarkable advantage.

KVM will get better and better for windows with each release but its already quite stable and usable for most scenarios. The upcoming KVM 85 will be also tested with the current 1.1 and the plan is to have this end of 4/2009.

The next major version of Proxmox VE (2.x) will enable the use of all common types of storage, means gives you all flexibility you might need in future.

Thanx for quick responses. Fact is, I've more experience with PM 1.1 than with almost anything else except VMWare Server 1.8 and 2.0 since I run a PM Cluster here at home and really prefer it. However, if something breaks here at home, No Big Deal. I just rebuild it and start over. The same is not true at the office where a large group of folks will be depending on what I set up. Still, I'm leaning towards PM as long as I will be able to connect a USB hard drive and stage vm disks to it for temporary offline storage. Better yet, I could set up a cluster and use a fairly small box with big disks for that purpose. PM pretty much answers all my needs but I'm still a little gun-shy (means "nervous":)) about using PM in a fairly complicated environment with lots of users. A PM cluster would really be a neat setup for what I want to do, tho. Tough decision.

Thanx again,
Garth

Thanx for quick responses. Fact is, I've more experience with PM 1.1 than with almost anything else except VMWare Server 1.8 and 2.0 since I run a PM Cluster here at home and really prefer it. However, if something breaks here at home, No Big Deal. I just rebuild it and start over. The same is not true at the office where a large group of folks will be depending on what I set up. Still, I'm leaning towards PM as long as I will be able to connect a USB hard drive and stage vm disks to it for temporary offline storage. Better yet, I could set up a cluster and use a fairly small box with big disks for that purpose. PM pretty much answers all my needs but I'm still a little gun-shy (means "nervous":)) about using PM in a fairly complicated environment with lots of users. A PM cluster would really be a neat setup for what I want to do, tho. Tough decision.

Thanx again,
Garth

Do PM.

Though if I were to do it in my office where other people are more "windows" people, I would chose vmware just for the fact that the other tech that works there doesn't want to deal with unix in any kind of way.

I think vmware ESX should give you USB support since its more "pro", but no idea since I was never able to boot/install it.

Well i think that the scenario you have draw has only a problem:

You told about virtualize Oracle and Sql servers that are IO intensive applications, if you search abut this, you´ll see that this is the best example of system we dont have to virtualize. IO intensive is fairly the bottleneck of virtualization. This is apply on VMware ESX (i),on HyperV and all types of virtualization.

Although if you decide go staight on, you must select the tecnology that make you confortable and feel secure. Try several options and decide by yourself.

In the other hand i have oracle and sql server virtualized but only to work as consolidated backups and disaster recovery.

Hope this works to clarify your problem.

PM rocks!

I hear you concerning virtualizing database servers but we frequently do this since these databases are low-volume servers handling only a couple of simultaneous users doing test transactions against the database. I agree that a high-volume database server would be better unvirtualized but I have been pleasently surprised by what an SQL Server can handle as a virtual box with one cpu and one gig of RAM.

Thanx for the feedback...
Garth

Well, I've gone full circle and am back to PM but with a question. I set up a w2k3 vm and enabled Remote Connections but am unable to open an RDP session to it because the box doesn't respond. I also can't ping the box altho I can ping out from it. Is there a mod needed on the PM box to allow this to happen?

Thanx,
Garth

Question withdrawn. Old IP address being searched for by RDP software.

Sorry,
Garth

Just make sure that you are using the recommended KVM settings when setting up a windows VE. See wiki.

Then download the network card drivers and install them. Pretty much straightforward, I was surprised on how easy and quick KVM/PVE is compared to vmware ESXi (the free edition).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!