Linux bridge and ovs

kcallis

Apr 5, 2018
Using a network setup, I created a linux bridge (vmbr0) and an ovs bridge (vmbr1). The reason for this was that I have my laptop eth0 plugged directly to my DSL gateway (which is my vmbr0) and I have an additional interface plugged in which has be setup using ovs (which is for pfsense.). Using another laptop, I can ssh into my vmbr0 interface (the laptop is in the same network as the vmbr0) and from there ping and ssh into my vm which attached to my vmbr1. So it would seem a good thing! But the problem that I am having is how do I access my VM directly? Is there something I need to do to pve firewall so that using my laptop I could access my web server in my VM on vmbr0? Or should I create a static route on my laptop?

# sudo ip route add 192.168.5.0/24 via 172.16.1.161 dev wlo1

My laptop address is 172.16.1.188
the vmbr0 address is 172.16.1.161
and the VM IP address is 192.168.5.1

As I stated earlier, if I ssh into the pve box, I am able to access the VM directly. I can ping and ssh into the VM. The issue is that I need to access the web interface on the VM. From the VM I am able to ping and ssh into my laptop, but no joy in doing any other those things to the VM.

Last edited:
Using a network setup, I created a linux bridge (vmbr0) and an ovs bridge (vmbr1). The reason for this was that I have my laptop eth0 plugged directly to my DSL gateway (which is my vmbr0) and I have an additional interface plugged in which has be setup using ovs (which is for pfsense.). Using another laptop, I can ssh into my vmbr0 interface (the laptop is in the same network as the vmbr0) and from there ping and ssh into my vm which attached to my vmbr1. So it would seem a good thing! But the problem that I am having is how do I access my VM directly? Is there something I need to do to pve firewall so that using my laptop I could access my web server in my VM on vmbr0? Or should I create a static route on my laptop?

# sudo ip route add 192.168.5.0/24 via 172.16.1.161 dev wlo1

My laptop address is 172.16.1.188
the vmbr0 address is 172.16.1.161
and the VM IP address is 192.168.5.1

As I stated earlier, if I ssh into the pve box, I am able to access the VM directly. I can ping and ssh into the VM. The issue is that I need to access the web interface on the VM. From the VM I am able to ping and ssh into my laptop, but no joy in doing any other those things to the VM.

Proper routing in .aptop is needed (in principle as described above) as well as in the VM for the route back to the laptop.

Also forwarding must be enabled in Proxmox:
Code:
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

Reactions: Moayad

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!