License Question

nmiller0113

Aug 23, 2012
I want to test out Proxmox VE and was reading one of the pages on Subscription Service Plans http://www.proxmox.com/products/proxmox-ve/subscription-service-plans. My question is if I just want to test it out will I have access to all features? The reason I ask is because it mentions license options like:

- Access to software updates
- Remote Login via SSH

Are those features not available unless I license them? So I assume I wouldn't be able to upgrade to remotely SSH into the Proxmox VE nodes unless purchased a license? Maybe there is a trial license? Or maybe I'm just misunderstanding what the page mentioned above. Any input would be greatly appreciated as I'm itching to start demoing the product.

Thank you!

Are those features not available unless I license them? So I assume I wouldn't be able to upgrade to remotely SSH into the Proxmox VE nodes unless purchased a license?

No, you miss-understand that. Those things are related to the support contract, i.e. we do not remotely login and help you to debug problem unless you have a support contract.

The Software license is AGPL.

Thanks for the quick reply. I also just realized that I incorrectly wrote "Are those features not available unless I license them? So I assume I wouldn't be able to upgrade to remotely SSH into the Proxmox VE nodes unless purchased a license?" when I intended on stating that as an OR like "Are those features not available unless I license them? So I assume I wouldn't be able to upgrade OR remotely SSH into the Proxmox VE nodes unless purchased a license?"

So my other question is does that go for Access to software updates as well? Meaning, even without a support contract I'd have access to software updates, I just wouldn't have support if I have an issue with access to software updates. Am I understanding that correctly? I'm familiar with AGPL but some things seem vague to me and I didn't know if that also included access to software updates.

Thanks again for your guidance. I am evaluating this for a paying production environment and replacement of VMWare.

Thanks again for the quick response. I also added another note, because I realized I asked this first one incorrectly, asking if that still included automatic software updates as I wrote this before:

So I assume I wouldn't be able to upgrade to remotely SSH into the Proxmox VE nodes unless purchased a license?

And what I meant write was:

So I assume I wouldn't be able to upgrade OR remotely SSH into the Proxmox VE nodes unless purchased a license?

Thanks again for your assistance with these answers!

My apologies. The first time I sent the message my internet dropped and I thought it hadn't gone through. That is why you saw the question twice as I sent it again, although much shorter this time, because I was frustrated thinking the internet drop had caused my first one to get lost.

Thank you again for your assistance and I honestly did not mean to waste your time.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!