LAN adapters not set correctly after Proxmox installation

gcmartin

Sep 14, 2010
Just created 1st test of Proxmox on an empty system. Install procedure mimics Proxmox video for installation. Upon completion, system reboots and did NOT see any error messages.

BUT, MAJOR PROBLEM: My Proxmox cannot ping PCs on my LAN. And, LAN PCs cannot reach the new Proxmox's webgui for setup and tailoring Proxmox Host.

Proxmox Host configuration: AM2, 4GB ram, 500GB HDD, dual gigabit LAN adapters on the motherboard. The ethernet connection to the LAN is via the 2nd LAN card and cable is plugged in and active. The 1st LAN card port is empty (nothing plugged into it).

Scenario: On Proxmox Host, I login. Attempts to ping anything on the LAN fail. I display the LAN setup and see:
Code:
# ip address
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> ...
2: eth0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pf ifo_fast state DOWN qlen 1000
      link/ether 00:....:fd  brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: eth1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN qlen 1000
      link/ether 00:....:fe  brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
4: vmb0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN
      link/ether 00:1f:c6:28:c7:55  brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
      inet 192.168.1.251/25 brd 192.168.1.255 scope global vmbr0
      inet fe80::21f::c6ff::fe28::c755/64 scope link valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
5: vnet0: <BROADCAST,POINTTOPOINT,NOARP,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN
      link/void
I expected to see eth1 setup and active with the IP address that was supplied at boot time. Instead, I find the supplied IP an the internal bridge with NO connection to my LAN

What happened?
How do you remedy this on the console of the Proxmox system?
There is a DHCP server on my LAN, can Proxmox use this?
Could I have instructed Proxmox at setup time to use my DHCP server just to get started?

Thanks in advance for the answers to each of these questions.

Last edited:
You asked me to provide the following.

#1 - which ISO image ===> proxmox-ve_1.6-5087-3.iso
It was a direct download from here:
http://proxmox.org/downloads/proxmox-ve/iso-images/75-proxmox-ve-1/download

#2 - Results of your pveversion request
# pveversion -v
pve-manager: 1.6-2 (pve-manager/1.6/5087)
running kernel: 2.6.32-3-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 1.6-14
pve-kernel-2.6.32-3-pve: 2.6.32-14
qemu-server: 1.1-18
pve-firmware: 1.0-7
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-13
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.24-1pve4
vzdump: 1.2-7
vzprocps: 2.0.11-1dso2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 0.12.5-1
ksm-control-daemon: 1.0-4

Last edited:
content of /etc/network/interfaces
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.143.251
netmask 255.255.255.128
gateway 192.168.143.129
bridge_ports eth0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

Last edited:
I expected to see eth1 setup and active with the IP address that was supplied at boot time. Instead, I find the supplied IP an the internal bridge with NO connection to my LAN

The bridge is connected to eth0. You already tried to plug the cable to the other port?

@dietmar, I did move the active cable to eth0 and I am now able to reach my LAN. Thanks.
And, I
  • edited the "interfaces" file,
  • changed the line with eth0 to eth1,
  • put the cable back into the eth1 slot
and now, I can ping and I can logon to Proxmox host from LAN PCs over the eth1 adapter.

But ...

Questions: Can I manually add a VMB1 section to the "interfaces" file and have 2 bridges to each separate LAN adapter, OR are other files needed to be modified to allow a 2nd bridge?

Thanks in advance for ALL of the help thus far....

Last edited:
Hi,
you can use the gui for that, or change the /etc/network/interface file. After network-canges you need to reboot (if you know what yo dou, you don't need to reboot, but it's safer).
If you use vlan-tagging you can use a lot more bridges on one NIC - without vlan-tagging one NIC can assigned to one bridge - but you can assing more than one nic to a bridge, but that is not that what you want.
Only your vmbr0 need a IP-Adresse, the other bridges don't need one - only the VMs takes IPs on the Network (but you can do, if you want).

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!