kvm VM won't boot xp

baboo

Nov 14, 2010
I running 1.7. I setup a VM with a scsi cd. Inserted dvd and it won't boot. Syslog says nothing.
'messages' says 'unaligned transfer'.

dmesg has no error messages.

I get the same messages with 'qm start 102'.

Could someone tell me what I am doing wrong?
thanks

No idea, sorry. Is there a reason you need it to be a SCSI cd device? It's only virtual, so try IDE?

I tried ide but its worse. It says cd not found. However, scsi says can't boot.

You sure the iso is not corrupt? I have a win XP VM that boots just fine... Which proxmox? I am running 1.7...

I running 1.7. I setup a VM with a scsi cd. Inserted dvd and it won't boot. Syslog says nothing.
'messages' says 'unaligned transfer'.

dmesg has no error messages.

I get the same messages with 'qm start 102'.

Could someone tell me what I am doing wrong?
thanks

Sorry, but Windows XP can only boot as a KVM machine. Did you use that option when creating the VM ?
And, in my 1.7 web interface, I cannot choose SCSI as CDROM. So what are you doing precisely ?

Did you upload an XP CDROM iso on the server ?

If you do not give more details, we cannot help you.

Alain

alain: thank you for the reply. I only use kvm. I created a vm that uses scsi. I added in hardware a scsi cd. I apply config. I then start vm but get error message that cd is not bootable. It is.

the only error message is 'unaligned transfer' in '/var/log/messages'

I don't know what else I could tell you.

alain: thank you for the reply. I only use kvm. I created a vm that uses scsi. I added in hardware a scsi cd. I apply config. I then start vm but get error message that cd is not bootable. It is.

the only error message is 'unaligned transfer' in '/var/log/messages'

I don't know what else I could tell you.
Hi,
use an standard ide-cdrom. Select cdrom as first boot-device in the VM-option menu (save). And please post your VM-config.
Code:
cat /etc/qemu-server/VMID.conf

Udo

udo: thanks. good to hear from you. I tried that once before but will again and post config. Will take me a few minutes.

/etc/qemu-server/102.conf
ostype: other
memory: 1000
sockets: 1
name: win7
vlan0: rtl8139=26:A2:99:64:F9:9B
bootdisk: scsi0
scsi0: local:102/vm-102-disk-1.raw
localtime: 1
boot: dc
freeze: 0
cpuunits: 1000
acpi: 1
kvm: 1
ide0: cdrom,media=cdrom

thanks

do not use scsi. (scsi0: local:102/vm-102-disk-1.raw)

use IDE or VIRTIO (extra drivers needed for VIRTIO)

tom: thanks. I am using ide based on udo's post. The post above is the 'conf' file showing that. However, it still does not work. Maybe I am doing something wrong but so far no one has pointed out what that might be :)

you use scsi for the disk image. (scsi0: local:102/vm-102-disk-1.raw).
do not do this.

tom: You're the Man! So, I learned that the disk cannot be scsi but ide instead. It all works.

thanks

Great, thanks for feedback.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!