KVM offline migration

kobuki

Renowned Member
Dec 30, 2008
Please forgive me if it's documented somewhere but I haven't been able to find it.

I've attempted to migrate KVM VMs from one HN to another via "qm migrate" on the newest PVE 3.3, but this is what I've got:

Code:
vm1:~# qm migrate 150 vm2
Oct 11 15:28:02 starting migration of VM 150 to node 'vm2' (10.30.1.3)
Oct 11 15:28:02 copying disk images
Oct 11 15:28:02 ERROR: Failed to sync data - can't migrate 'local-kvm:vm-150-disk-1' - storagy type 'lvm' not supported
Oct 11 15:28:02 aborting phase 1 - cleanup resources
Oct 11 15:28:02 ERROR: migration aborted (duration 00:00:00): Failed to sync data - can't migrate 'local-kvm:vm-150-disk-1' - storagy type 'lvm' not supported

If I remember right, it worked in earlier versions. That is, migration from one HN to another, offline, without shared storage. The operation is supposed to copy the image from one node to another and then start it on the other node. Migration using shared storage works either online or offline. I'm at a loss why it doesn't work offline without shared storage.

Note: the error message has a typo -"storagy" instead of "storage".

I'm surprised that no one could answer this. However, what I see from the perl code, offline KVM migration only works with shared storage (of any kind) or local directory-based storage.

I'd be glad if someone from the Proxmox team could confirm this.

I'm surprised that no one could answer this. However, what I see from the perl code, offline KVM migration only works with shared storage (of any kind) or local directory-based storage.

I'd be glad if someone from the Proxmox team could confirm this.

Hello,

same question here. Why no offline migration with LVM? Was this dropped?

Thanks,
esco

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!