KVM block live migration

FinnTux

Renowned Member
Aug 4, 2011
Any plans to support KVM live block migration or incremental block migration (migrate -b and migrate -i monitor commands) in the future?

Yes, but we need to get v2.0 stable first.

Excellent.

How about templates? Would be great to have ability to create a VM, install and configure operating system and then make template out of it.

VM snapshots would also be great but I guess clvm don't support it?

Excellent.

How about templates? Would be great to have ability to create a VM, install and configure operating system and then make template out of it.

this process also depends on the guest system so its not that clear. for OpenVZ, you already have such templates, for KVM we plan to support ovf format (but not for 2.0, later).

VM snapshots would also be great but I guess clvm don't support it?
yes, depends on the disk/storage type. therefore this topic is not for the first 2.0 stable.

For KVM i guess you would need the ability to mount the disk image (ie detect partitions contained within whole disk images) and then modify certain files...

Not sure if OVF has the capability to configure the image on the fly, which is really whats required to deploy templates... At the very least you need to set IP, hostname and user/root passwords.

Perhaps define a template format which includes filesystem images, a script and a manifest... You create the disk image, populate it with a partition table (using user specified sizes for all the mountpoints defined in the manifest, plus swap), run resize2fs or appropriate command to expand the templates to fill the created partitions, you then run the script telling it where the filesystems are and it creates a proper fstab, sets user passwords and configures the network.

Have actually been looking into this myself but the current stumbling block is mounting filesystems inside of a full disk image, when the kernel wont parse the partition table.

Tom, yes I know OpenVZ has templates and I meant KVM VMs. Should've mentioned that clearer.

Not sure if OVF has the capability to configure the image on the fly, which is really whats required to deploy templates... At the very least you need to set IP, hostname and user/root passwords.

Perhaps define a template format which includes filesystem images, a script and a manifest... You create the disk image, populate it with a partition table (using user specified sizes for all the mountpoints defined in the manifest, plus swap), run resize2fs or appropriate command to expand the templates to fill the created partitions, you then run the script telling it where the filesystems are and it creates a proper fstab, sets user passwords and configures the network.

I was actually thinking something much simpler. Just a pre-installed image which is copied to create new VM. IPs etc would be set manually after first boot. Of course this can be done manually "behind the scenes" of web UI.

Have actually been looking into this myself but the current stumbling block is mounting filesystems inside of a full disk image, when the kernel wont parse the partition table.

kpartx?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!