KVM allocate memory failure - buff/cache not released

Sep 24, 2018
Hi,

My proxmox have 47G Mem with 30G swap. It is using a local ZFS pool.
After a time, the buff/cache of the node totally use all the free memory (unused by current VM) and makes impossible to start a new VM or run a backup. From what I understood, backup is the same as starting a VM.
The VM start fail with: failed to initialize KVM: Cannot allocate memory

> free -h
total used free shared buff/cache available
Mem: 47G 33G 441M 63M 13G 13G
Swap: 30G 1.6G 29G

To run again a VM, I need to force drop cache with the command:
>sync; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

Here is the result:
>free -h
Mem: 47G 33G 13G 63M 205M 13G
Swap: 30G 1.6G 29G

What I do not understand is why I have to manually force to drop the cache ? do the kernel cannot itself clear the cache to let KVM allocate new mem ?

Hi @spirit,

Thank you for your answer.

Yes, I had write back cache enabled on Windows VM. I have changed to cache=none as you proposed.
The Windows VM are used as CI, so lots of build/write. It is possible that it is the reason of the cache size.

Otherwise all you VM disks use zvol.

I will get back with the result of the changes.

Hi @spirit,

Unfortunatelly even after changing the cache to none, the buff/cache again reached a high number and no longer possible to boot a new vm even if there is free memory.
Mem: 47G 22G 458M 80M 24G 24G
Swap: 30G 4.1G 26G

Anyone else has an idea here ?

Hi

I have the same issues and its seem to be happening on more nodes now.

I have to keep running this to get them to start up now:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/compact_memory

Hi! Unfortunately I confirm the issue. 32 GB (dual socket, 16 GB each node) with 18GB free and I can only start a new VM after (manually) dropping the caches. compact_memory did not work for me. Disk cache is set to none.
Current ugly workaround is to drop caches from cron...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!