KSM behaviour on reboot

M@ario

Dec 23, 2010
Hello,

I have one Proxmox node that uses KSM heavily (118GB assigned on 96GB physical RAM). Recently I had to reboot that node and after the reboot the VMs started up and began to eat up the RAM quickly.
cat /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/run showed KSM running, but pages_shared and pages_sharing ware both 0. After about 5 minutes the server was swapping like hell and was totally unresponsive. Only after I killed some VMs, the server was usable again and then suddendly also KSM kicked in.

So the questions is: Is this expected behaviour?
It seems logical that KSM needs some time to scan the memory for the first time. But how log should that take and how can one speed up this?

Hello,

I have one Proxmox node that uses KSM heavily (118GB assigned on 96GB physical RAM). Recently I had to reboot that node and after the reboot the VMs started up and began to eat up the RAM quickly.
cat /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/run showed KSM running, but pages_shared and pages_sharing ware both 0. After about 5 minutes the server was swapping like hell and was totally unresponsive. Only after I killed some VMs, the server was usable again and then suddendly also KSM kicked in.

So the questions is: Is this expected behaviour?
It seems logical that KSM needs some time to scan the memory for the first time. But how log should that take and how can one speed up this?

you can tune it in /etc/ksmtuned.conf

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!