[SOLVED] Kernel OOPS with Proxmox 5.2 / Kernel 4.15 and USB Controller Passthrough

seiichiro0185

May 17, 2018
Hi there, I'm a long time happy Proxmox VE user, first of all Thanks for this great Product and the impressive feature set you have delivered for many years now!

I recently updated to Proxmox 5.2 with Kernel 4.15, and unfortunately hit a Kernel Bug. I have 2 Identical USB3-PCIe Cards in my Server which I pass through to 2 different VMs. This worked fine till now. In Proxmox 5.2 with the newer kernel 4.15 I can only start one of the VMs, the second one doesn't start, and dmesg shows the Kernel Bug described here: www<dot>spinics<dot>net/lists/stable/msg235182.html on unbinding the device. Afterwards the USB-Controller is no longer usable.

As you can see there is already a Patch for this issue attached to the Message, would it be possible to incorporate this patch into the proxmox kernel, or alternatively disable CONFIG_USB_XHCI_DBGCAP in the Kernel config to prevent this Issue (as described in this bug report: bugzilla<dot>redhat<dot>com/show_bug.cgi?id=1565131 )? Booting with the old 4.13 Kernel works as a workaround for me, so I can circumvent the Issue for now.

If you need any further Infos / Logs / Whatever, I'll gladly provide them. And sorry for the strange links, but as a new user I'm apparently not allowed to post any links here.

Thanks in Advance
seiichiro0185

the upstream patch will be part of our next kernel upgrade

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!