keeping uptime while updating a 3 node proxmox cluster

offerlam

Renowned Member
Dec 30, 2012
Denmark
Hi all,

I am under the understanding that you would need at some point to powerdown all your VMs and reboot when you update your proxmox cluster solution. I friend of mine told me not long ago that he didn't have to do that to update his proxmomx so now im confused.

The way I have been doing it is to move all VMs to one note. Update and reboot the other two.. than shutdown all VMs on the last note and update and reboot it. I can't migrate the VMs on the non updated server because of node version inconsistency.

Is this still true? have it ever been true? I tested this long ago and im unclear how it went out but i feel i was right in my assumption.

my current proxmox version is 3.2-2

Well, try is pretty simple. you can migrate from oldversion to newversion without any problem.

upgrade an empty node (1) to new version
when done, migrate vms from node2 to new proxmox node1
then upgrade node2
migrate vms from node3 to node2
then upgrade node3.

Done :)

Well, try is pretty simple. you can migrate from oldversion to newversion without any problem.

upgrade an empty node (1) to new version
when done, migrate vms from node2 to new proxmox node1
then upgrade node2
migrate vms from node3 to node2
then upgrade node3.

Done :)

and this can be done with my version of proxmox? has it allways been possible?

The only time a VM needs to be shutdown is when qemu gets a major upgrade to activate new features in VM's. As long as a VM is not shutdown it will continue with the old feature set.

>>and this can be done with my version of proxmox?
yes

>>has it allways been possible?

yes, from 2.0 > 3.4 ;)

(But try to not have too big difference, we don't test all versions -> all versions)

But 3.0 > 3.4 should works fine.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!