Java VNC just stops randomly - Error 400288

FastLaneJB

Feb 3, 2012
Hi,

Anyone know why the VNC console just stops randomly? Working on a 2008 R2 VNC and getting a few different errors with "Error: 400288" being one. I can click reload and get straight back on the server and it's still running but VNC just bombs out. Client is running on Windows 8.1 with the latest Java, u51.

If I RDP to the server it'll stay connected all day long so it's not like the network connection is dropping out and this is on the same LAN.

Any idea? I've even had a look at the source code for TigerVNC 1.1.0 which I believe it's based on but at a quick look just seems its a generic error of something bad happened but doesn't know what...

Java 7 u51 has caused many problems for me. I do know that you need to add your servers to the exception list (Java control panel -> security tab). This worked for about a day for me and then hasn't worked since. I've switched everything to use SPICE.

Edit: Keep an eye on this thread

In fairness I was having this issue before u51. I've no issues with SSL as I've got my server running on a public signed SSL cert.

It would make sense at this point to switch to something like NoVNC. They need to stay multi platform and I think this is probably the best approach.

I guess your not getting these errors? I think judging from the unknown nature that the Java applet is crashing. I don't believe a Proxmox use the latest version TigerVNC either so possible it's getting less and less compatible with later Java versions.

I would love to see NoVNC too. Spice gives me a lot of problems (i.e. very slow, one virtual core at 100% with xorg), unfortunately, on kubuntu old distro (i.e. 12.04), not tried in newer (yes, I've installed xserver qxl package). Java has it's own troubles, as we can see. NoVNC seems a perfect solution, even if probably slower.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!