[SOLVED] Issues Booting Imported VM Image

Gh0st

Apr 15, 2021
Hi everyone!

Would someone have some insight on how I can import a KVM image to Proxmox? I have a confluence server which I have in a KVM img format. I created a VM using qm create. I then copied the backup of the server I have to that servers hard drive in Proxmox. I booted the server using my KVM image and I got as far as the CentOS 7 loading screen but then the boot fails with an error message saying /dev/vda1 does not exist.

I thought, fine, no issue. I used GRML to mount the servers image.

On checking the fstab I saw the server was trying to boot from /dev/vda1 and /dev/vda2

On doing an fdisk -l I saw that the hard drives were/dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2 (http://prntscr.com/1273156)

I modified the fstab to reflect the /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2 information above and I modified the grub conf to remove any reference of /dev/vda1 and replaced with /dev/sda1.

I reboot the server then this produces an error saying /dev/sda1 does not exist.

Next, I tried to put the UUID of the drive in the fstab but this also didn't work. I have now deleted the VM and recreated it but I am back to where I started. I still have a server that reports its drives are /dev/vda* (http://prntscr.com/1273l7e) But fdisk states they should be /dev/sda*

It's worth noting that I have tried to DD the image to the VMs hard drive and this produces the same results above.

How can I get this thing to boot?

I must have made a mistake the first time around. After redoing this, editing FSTAB and Grub it booted the first time with no need to touch initramfs. I did have to reset the root password as the old one wasn't working but seems to work fine now.

Thanks for the pointer

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!