ISOs for KVM exist on a SMB/CIFS server. How to

gcmartin

Sep 14, 2010
Am using a SMB/CIFS (NAS) server for all ISOs.*

I realize that the following are 2 individual questions. If anyone chooses to answer them inidividaully, please be my guest.*

I Am able to mount the LAN's NAS on Proxmos host. "mkdir /mnt/ISOs ; mount -t cifs //NAS/ISOs /mnt/ISOs"

Since I'm sure that this has been covered many times before, are there any instructions for making these ISO available for booting in a KVM? Its not totally obvious to me how to instruct the KVM VM to do this.

The VMs that I want to boot are X-Windows Linux Distributions similar to Knoppix/Puppy/Mint. I run these systems in Live mode. There is ONLY need for me to run these OSes with SWAP partitions. No HDD is necessary for the OSes to run. Thus my only HDD definition need be a partiton to the VM that will be defined as swap. I know this is suppose to be so easy, but, I am having trouble doing this on Proxmox.

Any steering to any existing documentation or muliimedia offering would be appreciated.*Again, I am asking:*
  • if there is methods to*making ISOs attached to Proxmox host available to a VM client for booting without "uploading" (which causes duplication of ISO space in the NAS as well as in Proxmox) via webpage?
  • And, is there anything special needed to run a Live media (DVD/CD) Linux distro in a KVM?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Am using a SMB/CIFS (NAS) server for all ISOs.*

I realize that the following are 2 individual questions. If anyone chooses to answer them inidividaully, please be my guest.*

I Am able to mount the LAN's NAS on Proxmos host. "mkdir /mnt/ISOs ; mount -t cifs //NAS/ISOs /mnt/ISOs"

Since I'm sure that this has been covered many times before, are there any instructions for making these ISO available for booting in a KVM? Its not totally obvious to me how to instruct the KVM VM to do this.

The VMs that I want to boot are X-Windows Linux Distributions similar to Knoppix/Puppy/Mint. I run these systems in Live mode. There is ONLY need for me to run these OSes with SWAP partitions. No HDD is necessary for the OSes to run. Thus my only HDD definition need be a partiton to the VM that will be defined as swap. I know this is suppose to be so easy, but, I am having trouble doing this on Proxmox.

Any steering to any existing documentation or muliimedia offering would be appreciated.*Again, I am asking:*
  • if there is methods to*making ISOs attached to Proxmox host available to a VM client for booting without "uploading" (which causes duplication of ISO space in the NAS as well as in Proxmox) via webpage?
  • And, is there anything special needed to run a Live media (DVD/CD) Linux distro in a KVM?
Thanks in advance.
Hi,
define the path in storage (but perpaps it's better to use something like "/mnt/nas") and select as content ISO (and Template?). Select also shared.

The iso-files must be in the folder "template/iso" which pve create for you under this storage.

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!