Iscsi storage lost and HA issue

Ch@rlus

Renowned Member
Feb 14, 2013
Hi guys,

I recently built a Proxmox 5.1 cluster, with 5 identical HP servers.

Alls theses servers are connected throught ISCSI to a storage bay, with a multipath configuration.

Everything is running great, but I wanted to test several scenarios, and had an issue on the following one : What happens if a server suddenly lost all his iscsi link, but remains in the quorum ?

I simply removed the iscsi vlans from this server, while running i/o bench on a few VMs. Once the iscsi links were down, the VM started to produce i/o errors (seems legit), but after waiting 5min, I noticed that they weren't migrated on another node with alive iscsi. All theses VM were in a HA group.

Is this behaviour normal ? Is there something I can do to change this and make sure that a node with non-alive storage will "migrate" / restart it's VM on another node ?

Thanks in advance,
Regards

Is this behaviour normal ? Is there something I can do to change this and make sure that a node with non-alive storage will "migrate" / restart it's VM on another node ?

Yes, this is expected. You should make your iscsi connection redundant, so that this cannot happen.

Thanks for your reply. That's what I wanted to be sure.

I'll take the necessary measures to make sure that the iscsi links are redundant, but things may always happen and broke it.

I'll probably see if I can implement an auto-fence on my node if it detects iscsi links down for X seconds. That's be a good feature to include in the proxmox fencing mechanism too (I do not see any case were this could cause any trouble : If the storage is down, then the node is unusable)

I'll probably see if I can implement an auto-fence on my node if it detects iscsi links down for X seconds. That's be a good feature to include in the proxmox fencing mechanism too (I do not see any case were this could cause any trouble : If the storage is down, then the node is unusable)

It is just difficult to detect/judge if the storage is down. But yes, the plan was to add a such tests - maybe a generic way to run tests

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!