ISCSI Question

Oer2001

Jul 12, 2011
Hi,

we use proxmox with a shared iscsi target.
What is the default behaviour, if the iscsi connection is going down?
In our configuration all vm's crash immediately.

I saw other kvm configurations where the vm's freeze when the target was not accessible and came back after connection was recovered.

Thank you for your answer.

Regards,
Erik

I assume a VM which looses the disk will crash always. I did not see the opposite, but if you tell details how this should work I will take a look on it.

The default setting is to report errors to the guest (rerror=report). Maybe you want to set that to 'rerror=stop' instead (pause qemu).

Hi,

where can I set 'rerror=stop'?? Which configuration file??
I found another way, thats ok for me.
I set up multipath and configure

no_path_retry queue
flush_on_last_del no

The VM freeze and start working after ISCSI reconnection.
I think the max. queue time is round about 6 minutes.

Regards,
Erik

Hello,

I have a storage cluster with two machines (drbd, heartbeat, iscsi target).
If the active machine crashes there are round about 3 seconds until the passive machine takes over.

In this time the running machines seems to freeze but works again if the passive machine got active.
So I guess the IO requests are buffered somewhere

So with a network backed storage I recomend to have a failover scenario.
Elsewhere it would be the same you pluck out harddisk of a bare metal machine while it's running.

Best regards

Ben

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!