iSCSI, LVM, LVM Groups - slightly confused...

donty

Mar 31, 2009
Hi AllThis may seem the wrong place to post a more general question about storage but it does pertain more to how Proxmox does stuff with storage so I am asking for help and clarification. My setup is a PVE 2.1 cluster of 3 servers, that each have 2 separate NICs configured to connect to the iSCSI storage and a third NIC for Proxmox.The iSCSI target is on a server with a hardware RAID 1 2TB (2x2TB) array as /dev/sdb which I have given a GPT partition table for the whole 2TB as /dev/sdb1I set this up as a target using a stanza in /etc/iet/ietd.conf Target iqn.2012-08.net.testdomain:storage-group1.lun1IncomingUserOutgoingUserLun 0 Path=/dev/sdb1,Type=fileioAlias LUN1This is then matched with an entry in etc/iet/initiators.allow ofiqn.2012-08.net.testdomain:storage-group1.lun1 192.168.10.0/23 192.168.11.0/23At some point I will multipath this but for now it is just two networks.What I want to have is a proportion of the drive set as a logical volume for backups/isos etc which can be shared across all nodes and then more space as a volume group for images to allow for snapshots and live migration.I am sort of there with the theory, but from within the Proxmox environment I am not sure what is done where and when! I presume that Proxmox GUI is just attaching the iSCSI drive as an initiator as one might using the command line. However I am not so sure about the GUI volume group option and how it related to LVs and command line actions like lvcreate pvcreate etc. I feel like a complete noob with this, even though I have been messing with Linux for years this is just something I personally haven't played with much, so think I need a step by step bit of help to get the shape of things right in my head so I can build from there on. I am killing and rebuilding the whole cluster each time to be sure I have a known starting point so each step is taking a while to nail down - some shortcut help would be very much appreciated :)Thanks.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!