[SOLVED] Is there a benefit to switch a W2k16 Server from IDE to VirtIO

Virtio are optimized (and afaik para-virtualized) components so yes. There are benefits (performance, less overhead, TRIM support etc.)

First of all you need virtio-drivers to be installed on the Windows Box.
I have used the ones from https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-U...tual-machines-using-virtio-drivers/index.html

After installation you can switch your SCSI-controller to VirtIO SCSI and the Harddisk-type to Virtio Block or SCSI.
I'd recommend doing a backup before doing these changes.

Thanks - I tried that, but upon booting I am getting a BSOD with "Inaccessible Boot Device". Looks like there's something still missing. Now that I have switched back from virtio fpr the drive, but still having VirtIO as the SCSI-Controller, Windows is trying to load files for automatic repair.

Ok. I have checked my old notes.
It seems I have used a very specific procedure for the migration to Virtio.
Here is what I did.
  1. Use temporary devices for NIC and SCSI. I have used E1000 and Megaraid SAS, in other cases SATA disks
  2. install virtio drivers
  3. add an additional disk with virtio SCSI - this was necessary to load / install the drivers
  4. after that disk is recognized / installed: shutdown the OS an reconfigure to the Virtio SCSI controller and disks.
Apologies, I had it much simpler in my mind (but it is a few years back ....)

Reactions: budy
Great. Good to know that this still works. Thanks for sharing @budy
Would you please be so kind and mark this thread as solved (by editing the first post and use the prefix from the dropdown menu)

Ok. I have checked my old notes.
It seems I have used a very specific procedure for the migration to Virtio.
Here is what I did.
  1. Use temporary devices for NIC and SCSI. I have used E1000 and Megaraid SAS, in other cases SATA disks
  2. install virtio drivers
  3. add an additional disk with virtio SCSI - this was necessary to load / install the drivers
  4. after that disk is recognized / installed: shutdown the OS an reconfigure to the Virtio SCSI controller and disks.
Apologies, I had it much simpler in my mind (but it is a few years back ....)

Trying to do this now migrating from esxi.

However proxmox wont let me add a second controller, its either virtio or another, but not two controllers at once.

I never operated with multiple controllers, just the virtIO one. You will have to connect your volume through the correct BUS/device (SCATA/SCSI,…) so that Windows does find its boot volume. Once you've managed that, you can go ahead and install the PV drivers. Then you will add another virtIO-Volume to the controller and Windows will have to load the driver. Once that is done, you can shutdown Windows and also re-connect the other volumes as virtIO, now that Windows knows, how to handle them.

As @budy said: the controller type is not the point. You need to configure the disks accordingly to use the bustype. Sorry if that wasn't clear enough from my description .

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!