Is Proxmox Vulnerable to CVE-2014-6271

First, there is already a fix for that - just update:

bash (4.2+dfsg-0.1+deb7u1) wheezy-security; urgency=high

* Apply patch from Chet Ramey to fix CVE-2014-6271.

Second, we do not use CGI so I think there is low risk.

Thanks,
I've successfully upgrade bash to use 4.2+dfsg-0.1+deb7u1 which is Debian's officail patch for Proxmox 3
But on Proxmox 2, I'm not able to install 4.1-3+deb6u1 which is official Debian's patch via `apt-get update && apt-get upgrade` command,
https://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/CVE-2014-6271

Would you please let me know how to patch Proxmox 2 ?

First, there is already a fix for that - just update:

bash (4.2+dfsg-0.1+deb7u1) wheezy-security; urgency=high

* Apply patch from Chet Ramey to fix CVE-2014-6271.

Second, we do not use CGI so I think there is low risk.

I have numerous patches on some proxmox nodes waiting but I would like to just update the bash package from the command line (SSH). What is the proper command to do this? Is it just

Code:
[COLOR=#000000]apt[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]-[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]get install bash[/COLOR]

Thanks,
Eric

I have numerous patches on some proxmox nodes waiting but I would like to just update the bash package from the command line (SSH). What is the proper command to do this? Is it just

Code:
[COLOR=#000000]apt[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]-[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]get install bash[/COLOR]

Thanks,
Eric
you can use
Code:
apt-get install --only-upgrade bash

Excellent, thank you esud.

Do I need to reboot or restart services after installing this update?

No, a reboot of your system or any of your services is not required. This vulnerability is in the initial import of the process environment from the kernel. This only happens when Bash is started. After the update that fixes this issue is installed, such new processes will use the new code, and will not be vulnerable. Conversely, old processes will not be started again, so the vulnerability does not materialize. If you have a strong reason to suspect that a system was compromised by this vulnerability then a system reboot should be performed after the update is installed as a best security practice and security checks should be analyzed for suspicious activity.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!