Is openvswitch-switch-dpdk completely broken?

t00l1024

Jun 4, 2019
Clean install of 6.2-1. apt install openvswitch-switch-dpdk

Setting up openvswitch-switch-dpdk (2.12.0-1) ...
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/openvswitch-switch-dpdk/ovs-vswitchd-dpdk to provide /usr/sbin/ovs-vswitchd (ovs-vswitchd) in auto mode
update-alternatives: warning: not replacing /usr/sbin/ovs-vswitchd with a link

The binary, /usr/sbin/ovs-vswitchd is not compiled with DPDK support. One would usually "re-link" the binary to the DPDK compiled version (/usr/lib/openvswitch-switch-dpdk/ovs-vswitchd-dpdk) but that file is a bash script that's broken. Includes library path that don't exist:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/root/sources/pve/openvswitch/openvswitch-2.12.0/_dpdk/ofproto/.libs:/root/sources/pve/openv
switch/openvswitch-2.12.0/_dpdk/lib/.libs:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"

Anyone manage to get this package to work? I could always compile everything from source, but why have pre-compiled packages?

Reactions: mipsH
Hi,

Proxmox does not manage openVswitch packages. Please report to Debian.

So I'm clear.... The repository provided by proxmox.com, and hosted on proxmox.com....

# PVE pve-no-subscription repository provided by proxmox.com,
# NOT recommended for production use
deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve buster pve-no-subscription

Contains:
openvswitch-switch-dpdk_2.12.0-1.changelog 07-Mar-2020 17:04 2681
openvswitch-switch-dpdk_2.12.0-1_amd64.deb 07-Mar-2020 16:59 16816

And the changelog includes:
openvswitch (2.12.0-1) buster; urgency=low

* update to 2.12.0

-- Proxmox Support Team <support@proxmox.com> Sat, 07 Mar 2020 15:41:16 +0100

This isn't something that Proxmox manages?

You are correct. I was not aware we put it back to our repository.
This was necessary because the new kernel makes it necessary.

The DPDK package comes together with the others, but we will not support this function at the moment.
DPDK is a very picky beast where also HW is involved, if you like to use it you have to build it yourself.

Wolfgang, thank you for the explanation. I understand the pickiness and nuances of DPDK, but also see the usefulness of OVS-DPDK in server/cloud environments. Perhaps on your roadmap with Debian Bullseye?

Perhaps on your roadmap with Debian Bullseye?
I have no information about this, but we do a general recheck of those technologies.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!