Is NFS sharing only works on CentOs?

rizahoemae

Sep 11, 2021
Hi, just think of a question.

So today I want to create a backup folder using nfs. Imagine I have 2 vms (debian and proxmox). nfs server is in debian, and proxmox is the client.
i have tried some tutorials, and for the backup (nfs systems is working), folder is already backed up itself. as a screenshot below
1632057408854.png
(nfs server folder in debian)
1632057525613.png
(this up above is folder client in proxmox)

ive said that it really works for folder sharing. but, if i want to create nfs storage on proxmox gui, i cannot choose existing support nfs directory
1632057670246.png
why is it? some of my friends said that they couldn't found it also. they couldn't picked any directory. so the alternatives, they used centos instead to create nfs storage. they said, they found the directories. why is it possible? is there any requirements for create some nfs storage? i could not find the clue. hope you understand what i mean. any answers are respected. thank you.

That has nothing to do with the NFS server, no matter if centos or debian. The issue is that you're trying to configure an NFS server storage, and not a local folder. If you mount the NFS share via means outside of PVE, you need to add it as a "directory storage", not an "NFS storage". "NFS storage" connects to the server for you and mounts it at /mnt/pve/<id>.

Check out our storage documentation for more information.

That has nothing to do with the NFS server, no matter if centos or debian. The issue is that you're trying to configure an NFS server storage, and not a local folder. If you mount the NFS share via means outside of PVE, you need to add it as a "directory storage", not an "NFS storage". "NFS storage" connects to the server for you and mounts it at /mnt/pve/<id>.

Check out our storage documentation for more information.
AHAAA YESS!!
Pardon me, i forgot the details. The way I input form server is using my own proxmox, instead of nfs server. That's the answer why is when i create nfs storage always showing up "not online (500)" error.

My pmx: 192.168.43.8 (client nfs)
My debian: 192.168.43.72 (server nfs)

so this form should be filled with 192.168.43.72 instead of 192.168.43.8. Ahhh, i've been thinking about this for a week. Last week was probably a tough days.
1632279635906.png

Anyway thankyou for your answer. I realized something new. :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!