Is it possible to reduce clustercommunication (multicasts) to one interface?

phosen

Jun 9, 2012
Hello.

After running ver. 1.8 for a long time, I decided to install Proxmox 2.1. Almost everything works fine, but the multicasts for clustercommunication are sent on every interface.
In my setup this is a problem, because my cablemodem, e.g., learns the wrong mac-address and stops communicating with the virtual machine.

Is it possible to reduce the multicasts to only one interface? If so, how?
(This would also reduce the networktraffic.)

In the future I would like to setup a second node, so I need the clusterfunction and cannot disable it completely.

My networksetup:

One NIC with tagged VLANs
vmbr0 - eth0.10
vmbr1 - eth0.11
vmbr2 - eth0.12
vmbr3 - eth0.13

Only vmbr0 has got an IP an it is the interface I would use for clustercommunication. The other ones are only for the VMs.

I hope anyone could help me.

Phosen

After running ver. 1.8 for a long time, I decided to install Proxmox 2.1. Almost everything works fine, but the multicasts for clustercommunication are sent on every interface.

Why do you think so? If you set the IP on vmbr0, it is sent via vmbr0.

BTW, do you use OpenVZ Containers? For KVM you can setup VLANs using the GUI on VM create - no need to set VLANs inside the network configuration.

Why do you think so? If you set the IP on vmbr0, it is sent via vmbr0.

A software-firewall which runs as a VM with the bridges vmbr1, vmbr2 and vmbr3 assigned, shows dropped multicasts on all interfaces all the time.

After capturing packets with wireshark I could see the multicasts coming from the hardware proxmox runs on.

BTW, do you use OpenVZ Containers? For KVM you can setup VLANs using the GUI on VM create - no need to set VLANs inside the network configuration.

I use KVM only. I think it is nicer and clearer to manage the VLANs inside the network configuration.
If there is no other way to solve my problem, I'll test setting up the VLANs based on the VM-config.

EDIT: I tested VLANs based on the VM-config instead of bridge-config. Same behavior as before. (Multicasts are sent to every VLAN.)

Best regards,
Phosen

Last edited:
Simply create an extra interface for cluster communication - assign a private IP, and do not pass that to your firewall.

For example:

eth0.1000: inet static
address 192.168.2.2
netmask 255.255.555.0
gateway 192.168.2.1

You hostname should resolve to that new IP address in /etc/hosts.

My actual config:

Code:
# network interface settings
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual

iface eth1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address  192.168.0.16
        netmask  255.255.255.0
        gateway  192.168.0.1
        bridge_ports eth0.10
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0

auto vmbr666
iface vmbr666 inet manual
        bridge_ports eth1
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
        bridge_ports eth0.11
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0

auto vmbr2
iface vmbr2 inet manual
        bridge_ports eth0.12
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0

auto vmbr3
iface vmbr3 inet manual
        bridge_ports eth0.13
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0

The Firewall-VM ist assigned to vmbr1-3 and vmbr666 (the cablemodem).

On all interfaces I can see IGMP-packets (IPv4 and IPv6). Even on other tagged (11-13) ports of the switch. (Therefore it isn't only the firewall.)
I stopped several services and processes, but the multicasts are still there.
Any ideas how I can check which service sends them?

Thanks a lot.

Phosen

I've installed a testsetup under vmware to check if there is a problem with my switch or the vlans.

The problem with multicasts sent on every interface still exits.
Even if there's no cluster configured multicasts where sent on each single interface. Although if theres is a IP only on one interface.

Is there any other tip to suppress the multicasts?

Best regards.
Phosen

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!