Is it possible to hide the "virtual nature" of machine ???

redtex

Renowned Member
Sep 13, 2012
Hi all !!!

Sometimes, software developers limit possibility to use software on "physical" machines only. So, is it possible, to hide "virtual nature" of machine under proxmox (kvm) hypervisor ???
Regards
Vadim.

which software do you have?

This is possible. You can pass a UUID from a "real" server and define the MAC-Address from a real server. I did it with a Windows XP and Windows 2003 Server to bypass activation.
Just edit your VMID.conf and add args: -uuid 3D094D56-E2CC-B318-C582-AFB2F2Exxxxxx from your real server.

cheers
mac

which software do you have?
we want to use in our test environment the smartbear's soft testcomplete, but they restrict to use their's software wtih "node-locked" license on virtual machines...
Regards
Vadim.

Last edited:
This is possible. You can pass a UUID from a "real" server and define the MAC-Address from a real server. I did it with a Windows XP and Windows 2003 Server to bypass activation.
Just edit your VMID.conf and add args: -uuid 3D094D56-E2CC-B318-C582-AFB2F2Exxxxxx from your real server.

cheers
mac

Thank, you. I'll try this - don't know anything about UUID's :)
Regards
Vadim.

Depends on where the software is looking to gather the info. KVM, Oracle VM and other hypervisors have "predictable" hardware combinations that are often

"QEMU Virtual CPU" or similar under KVM, 'cat /proc/cpuinfo
"VirtualBox Graphics Adapter" under VirtualBox, 'lspci'

The PCI IDs will also be a giveaway.

This kind of fingerprinting may be hard to avoid, as these strings are defined in the driver.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!