Is a reboot necessary on every Proxmox ZFS update?

chrone

Apr 15, 2015
planet earth
Hi Proxmox,

Need your advice on whether to reboot on every Proxmox kernel, ZFS, or SPL related update or not?

Could Proxmox still work normally for a prolong period of time without a reboot after an update or so, especially if Proxmox runs on ZFS RAID1 array?

Hi,

You can reboot when you like to reboot.
There is no need for an instant reboot after kernel upgrades.

You just use the old image until the next boot.

Reactions: chrone
Hi,

You can reboot when you like to reboot.
There is no need for an instant reboot after kernel upgrades.

You just use the old image until the next boot.

Thanks for the confirmation, Wolfgang!

I was afraid of running newer ZFS version and still using old kernel as I checked on several occasions after performed Proxmox update, the 'modinfo zfs | head' said it's running on newer ZFS version after an update while I'm still running older kernel version. I also noticed once zfs-zed misbehaved after Proxmox update with a bump in ZFS version where zfs-zed utilized 100% a CPU core non-stop until a reboot was done.

Reactions: DerDanilo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!