IPv6 in Proxmox VE 2.0 still missing

Hook

Renowned Member
May 28, 2011
Germany
I just gave the new Proxmox VE 2.0 a try and there's still no support for IPv6 in Proxmox VE 2.0 :(
As you can see, I got it already working with earlier versions: http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/6436-IPv6-for-Host-and-virtual-machines?p=36537#post36537
I don't think it's that hard to run these few steps when adding an IPv6 address and configure the specific /etc/network/interfaces file on the VM automatically. Of course you have to configure the gateway and subnet first, but that could be done during installation or via webinterace.
Maybe it is also possible to route a complete subnet to the VM's (which would be much better than single IP addresses of course), but I haven't tried yet. So it would be possible for the user to just add IPv6 addresses when needed.

Would be great if IPv6 could be implemented before 2.0 final :cool:

Debian Squeeze has IPv6 support. So you need only to configure the network interfaces and bridge it to the hosts. Some things are done better from shell. Do you want to run ipv6 only or in dual stack mode with ipv4? Or do you plan to use ipv6 tunneling?

My intention is to run some OpenVZ servers with native IPv6 only because I don't need them to be accessible via IPv4. Most of them would run dual stacked, but still with native IPv6 and native IPv4. No tunneling methods come in place.
So I thought about a configuration interface where you can route a subnet, for example fe80:0:0:1::/64 to the first OpenVZ server, fe80:0:0:2::/64 to the second one and so on.

Currently I use the workaround specified in my first post, but that's very complicated to manage. So I think it would be better to configure IPv6 via an interface.

Please also let me know if there's an easier solution to get IPv6 working on OpenVZ servers.

Hi
I added an IPv6 address manually (like vzctl set <VEID> --save --ipadd 2a02:ab8:ff::1/128) works fine, also shows in the GUI, it seems there is only a problem when manually adding and IPv6 using the GUI that it insists on an IPv4 addressformat.

Using a debian-v6-testcontainer the only problem is that there is no v6 default-route added to the container (filed a bugreport with openvz there http://bugzilla.openvz.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2185) so at the moment one has to manually workaround by adding something like:

ip -6 route add default dev venet0

to the /etc/rc.local in the container to get things to work.
as we like to have it easy we're running quagga on the host too (and ospf6d activated) so there is no need for manual routing, but of course one can also do this for a small number of subnets and hosts by routing statically.

regards
hk

ups - openvz fixed this in the new vzctl (current stable is vzctl version 3.0.30.2).
-> so please push this into the proxmox repo :)

well, the latest 2.0 beta rc1 comes with latest vzctl - which is fine!

but.... on the host IPv6 is not very well kept alive if manually configured. In other words if I add eg another vmbr-interface proxmox cleanses the v6 config from /etc/network/interfaces which is at least not nice (other would call it a deal-breaker vor v6).

we tried to work around using quagga to set the v6 vmbr0 address (as we use it anyway for dynamic routing in the VE environment), but quagga seems to have its own problems setting v6-unicast on interfaces...

regards
hk

but.... on the host IPv6 is not very well kept alive if manually configured. In other words if I add eg another vmbr-interface proxmox cleanses the v6 config from /etc/network/interfaces which is at least not nice (other would call it a deal-breaker vor v6).

I've seen proxmox cleanse more than just IPv6 config data.
In my case I used spaces instead of tabs to indent, Proxmox removed every single line indented with spaces.
Maybe you used spaces instead of tab when indenting too?

The way proxmox parses the config file leaves much to be desired.
I ran across this interesting looking config file file parser: http://code.google.com/p/llconf/wiki/QuickGuide
Maybe Proxmox could use that loss less library/parser instead of the current lossy methods.

Why don't you simply report a bug? We can only fix bugs if we know them. Please use bugzilla.proxmox.com

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!