IPset and SecGroups accessible from Users

Sakis

Aug 14, 2013
We are checking firewall options at proxmox ve 4.X in order to give clients control on rules. We create for our clients a PVEVMUser user and give them rights to their kvm. Mainly for Console and Start-Stop.

In Datacenter lever we use plenty IPSet lists and Security Groups.

In order for firewall to work we may use the default PVEVMAdministrators or a new custom level with VM.Config.Network access.

Why datacenter options for IPset and SecGroups are exposed to PVEVMAdministrators?

Testing with even lower privileges we see that a PVEVMUser cannot save rules (ok) but can see firewall button in gui and browse IPsets also.
Firewall> Add Rule > Source and gets list of IPsets with dropdown
Firewall > Insert: Security Group> Security group and gets list of Groups with dropdown

Is this the expected behavior?
Am i missing something in the firewall concept? I hoped that users have total isolation to xxx.fw rules only at kvm level.

We have names like:
Ceph_network
Local_network
Admin_network
Office_network
VPN_network
etc

Why a PVEVMUser should be able to browse this information in first place? Since the user cannot edit firewall why it is shown in the GUI?
I thought its obvious that users shouldn't be able to see configurations in lower level than their for security reasons.

ps: This "issue" is also relevant with users been able to see other node-names in cluster that their server is not hosted there. In general i believe users see a lot more than needed.

Why a PVEVMUser should be able to browse this information in first place? Since the user cannot edit firewall why it is shown in the GUI?
I thought its obvious that users shouldn't be able to see configurations in lower level than their for security reasons.

Please can you file a bug report at bugzilla.proxmox.com. Maybe we can hide some information in that case...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!