IPMI / Blank Screen on Console

danwestman

May 2, 2012
Hello -

Just installed ProxMox via IPMI (SuperMicro). Unfortunately, despite everything I have tried, the system refuses to boot to anything other than 1024x768, which for some reason renders the video display useless (black screen). The initial grub boot is at 640x480 and is visible - then it jumps up to the higher resolution and goes black.

The install was just fine at 1024x768, so something is different when it boots to the installed system. In my testing on a local machine without IPMI, it just displayed a console after install and reboot, so I'm not entirely sure why a 1024x768 resolution is needed at all...

Anyone have a similar issue here, or am I missing something? Have searched and tried nearly everything, so I'm up for whatever anyone has to offer.

Thanks!

--dan

as i remember, i enabled tty1 in /etc/inittab and run init q after this, and i got the prompt on console

as i remember, i enabled tty1 in /etc/inittab and run init q after this, and i got the prompt on console

udi -

thanks for the help, but unfortunately, that didn't do the trick (tty1 was already enabled).

I set the runlevel to only be 2 and 3 in the hopes that would affect some change...but no (i've never had to do this in the past, so this is uncharted territory for me).

it's so odd that the console resolution refuses to honor any of the grub updates i've done, as well. i'm hoping one of the folks at proxmox will have a hint here, as the distro is probably doing something different than normal with the resolution.

thanks again for the help - keep it coming if you've got any other ideas!

--dan

Any updates on this? We're having the exact same issue. Supermicro IPMI works fine until Proxmox 2.1 boots and then just goes to a blank screen with "No Signal".

Update: Same with Proxmox 2.2

Last edited by a moderator:
Any updates on this? We're having the exact same issue. Supermicro IPMI works fine until Proxmox 2.1 boots and then just goes to a blank screen with "No Signal".

Update: Same with Proxmox 2.2

Unfortunately, no - we're still @ 2.1 and have no solution other than to make sure we get things set up so we can get in via SSH. UI is secondary any way, but it sure would be nice to have at least a command prompt at the console.

--dan

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!