IP Pool management

Machi

Aug 2, 2018
Hello,

Does there are any IP management built in under Proxmox? Such as

- Fixed the IP which assigned to VM
- Allow a user to use a range of IP to build their VMs

With reference to some material. I think which can be apply the idea with DHCP + firewall from node level. However, it will caused extra jobs to manage.

Could you please share hows you handle this case?

Thanks!

Reactions: KORG
We use LDAP-based DNS and DHCP with netboot to bootstrap all of our machines. Clients normally do not mind what IPs they actually have, one the fqdn is relevant, so this is the only step required (in addition to the PVE stuff). We create a virtual machine (all KVM) via the api and retrieve the generated mac, register the hostname in DNS and assign mac to IP of the dns entry.

Reactions: KORG
Hello,

Just wanted to let the community know...

Very disappointed to know that this feature does not exist ( require third-party implementations )
Proxmox is a great Virtualization platform, and i was eager to switch my 40 nodes to Proxmox after stumbling upon this limitation, too bad!

i think this feature is a MUST for cloud or otherwise providers
Hopefully it will be implemented someday.

Best Regards to Proxmox team and the community
and goodbye!

Regards
Mike

Virtualizor is a quick example
virtualizor.com

I am sure you guys have used Proxmox much longer then me, how do you actually cell products such as VPS's and Containers to the public?
without having IP to MAC bindings on the hypervisor level?

Regards
Mike

Virtualizor is a quick example
virtualizor.com
Thank you.
That product is not a hypervisor, it's an addon on top of different hypervisors (including PVE), so why don't you just use that?

I am sure you guys have used Proxmox much longer then me, how do you actually cell products such as VPS's and Containers to the public?
without having IP to MAC bindings on the hypervisor level?
I cannot speak for others, but I don't use PVE that way. IMHO PVE is not the right tool for that job. PVE is IaaS not CaaS or VPSaaS. For internet-facing services, everything is routed directly through reverse proxies. The days of having a "real" VPS is mostly over for services we're providing. Containerized applications is the way to go with e.g. K8S hosted on PVE for example.

Thank you for your explanation and quick prompt.

And your absolutely right, reverse proxies with containers is the way to go for modern applications, however, some cases still require traditional VPS's along with Public IP's attached.

I actually do use Virtualization for IaaS and VPSaaS on around 40 Nodes, my plan was to migrate to Proxmox as it is better suitable for IaaS and is more powerful and has much more features ( runs on Debian + has ModulesGarden's WHMCS solid module )

If i were to use Proxmox for IaaS and Virtualizor for VPSaaS, that will make my topology extremely complex and require additional management overhead, it would have been great to use Proxmox for both services.

If i were to use Proxmox for IaaS and Virtualizor for VPSaaS, that will make my topology extremely complex and require additional management overhead, it would have been great to use Proxmox for both services.
As far as I understand what Virtualizor is saying on its website (never tried it), you can do everything you can do in PVE itself and a lot more. So I would suspect you're not using the PVE GUI anymore, just Virtualizor.

Its not very accurate what they say on the website, although they have great features ( templates and ready VM images,provisioning scripts, auto app provisioning, etc ... ) and missing some other ones ( adding additional hardware like Network interfaces, Bridge aware Vlans, OVS, VxLans, etc .. )

The deal breaker with Virtualizor was HA not supported on Debian or Ubuntu, although they are working on that.

As per PVE GUI, i have used it briefly, and currently testing it on a couple of servers along with WHMCS modules.
If all goes well i will be migrating IaaS services to Proxmox and trying it on Production.

the ip pool is planned in the sdn feature.

(you can already define subnets and choose an ipam (internal,netbox,phpipam)).

It's just miss the allocation of ip when vm/ct is choosing his vnet/bridge. I think it should be ready before the end of the year.

https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-pvesdn.html

Thank you spirit for your feedback

It's just miss the allocation of ip when vm/ct is choosing his vnet/bridge. I think it should be ready before the end of the year.
So i can assume that the IP to MAC assignment will be implemented by then without the need for a IPAM manager outside Proxmox?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!