IO Delay drill down

ricardoj

Oct 16, 2018
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Hi there,

Is anyone able to drill down IO delay like per VM ?

I'm trying to find which VM is generating the most IO cycles to fine tuning VM and / or environment.

Even using external tools from VM or from PVE.

I,m running PVE 5.2 with ZFS in a single server

Thanks in advance,

Ricardo Jorge

Is anyone able to drill down IO delay like per VM ?

Since "IO delay" is effected by the sum of all VMs (and other processes) running at a Proxmox it cannot be assigned to particular VMs.

But it's possible to get the disk IO as amount of (k)bytes - thus is shown in the "Summary" tab of a VM. If you compare these figures from a certain period (with a significant IO delay) to each other you can conclude which of the VMs may have caused it.

Hi Richard,

Thank you for your input.

What I'm trying to achieve is an automated way to find which VM is creating the "pressure" over IO.

Let's see if I can find a way to export each VM disk IO info and compare with IO Delay total.

Best Regards,

Ricardo Jorge

Hi,

I think the easy way to look at I/O is using iotop

One just need to install it ( apt install iotop ) and run it from command line, like this :

iotop -o

Now you can see process consuming I/O.

Regards,

Ricardo Jorge

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!