Internal network like Oracle Virtualbox INTNET ?

wemersonrv

Jul 11, 2013
Hi,

Proxmos has support to internal network between VMs? Just like Oracle Virtualbox has the network type intnet !

Hi,

been struggling with this for a few hours now and can't get it to work.

Anyhow I tried to get it working I got the same error when trying to start the VM:
-----------
no physical interface on bridge 'vmbr3'
/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridge: could not launch network script
-----------

Any help would be appreciated.

Re, Uros

Hi,

i am looking for the same.

I would like to have some systems with a virtuell network interface. Maybe the different Systems on a different network. Without VLAN.
They should only communicate with each other or the external Network via a new dedicated vm firewall. This firewall should have 1-N virtuell Network Cards and a bridge to the outside world with the 1-N networks.

Is this possible?

In case I create a bridge Interface without IP and Ports, the vm can not be started anymore.

Is there any complete documentation?

Thanks for any help or hint.

Carsten

It really is as simple as creating vmbr with no connection to a physical eth and no IP address configuration... Then connect your VM to that nic.

I do this all the time for testing internal apps.

If your VM isn't starting, it sounds like you have a bad VM config

Yes it is this simple, I just wanted to be able to add new bridges on the fly without restarting the host and so I figured that adding VLAN to such a bridge, but it doesn't work.

So now I solved this with an extra button to the "Network" tab which in turn calls my script that checks for the changes made in the interfaces file and reloads the network accordingly on the fly - no more host restart needed. Yay!

proxmox-network.PNG

Yes it is this simple, I just wanted to be able to add new bridges on the fly without restarting the host and so I figured that adding VLAN to such a bridge, but it doesn't work.

So now I solved this with an extra button to the "Network" tab which in turn calls my script that checks for the changes made in the interfaces file and reloads the network accordingly on the fly - no more host restart needed. Yay!

View attachment 2380
Brilliant.

This was the error in my case.

Such a commit network changes would be very good.

Now it is working.
I`am impressed about the disk and network performance.

Thanks
carsten

View attachment 2380

Ok, yeah, lets push that button upstream. I love this button. I want to have children with this button.

Please tell me how to make this button.

See attached modified Network.pm file placed in /usr/share/perl5/PVE/API2 that adds the button, with this you also need to place the pve-commitNetworkChanges.pl to /usr/local/sbin.

It's been a while since I actively wrote in perl (about 10 years) so the code could probably be cleaned up and optimized a bit.

In the ZIP are both the files, the modified Network.pm is from installation media "proxmox-ve_3.3-a06c9f73-2.iso".

Just a warning, the script doesn't check if you make any stupid changes to the network that would make your host unaccessible so please use with caution.

To describe in short how the script works:
1. check if the interfaces.new exists; if exists go to 2. else quit
2. prepare a list of changes between interfaces and interfaces.new to know which interfaces have to be brought down - removed; brought up - added new; brough down & up - changes made
3. bring down all interfaces in list
4. bring up all interfaces in list

because of the way to "force" changes to be made on interfaces the interfaces are brought down - made inaccessible and brought back up the network connection to the VMs/CTs is broken in the meantime but should be restored when the interfaces are brought back up.

View attachment commitChanges.zip

See attached modified Network.pm file placed in /usr/share/perl5/PVE/API2 that adds the button, with this you also need to place the pve-commitNetworkChanges.pl to /usr/local/sbin.

It's been a while since I actively wrote in perl (about 10 years) so the code could probably be cleaned up and optimized a bit.

In the ZIP are both the files, the modified Network.pm is from installation media "proxmox-ve_3.3-a06c9f73-2.iso".

Just a warning, the script doesn't check if you make any stupid changes to the network that would make your host unaccessible so please use with caution.

To describe in short how the script works:
1. check if the interfaces.new exists; if exists go to 2. else quit
2. prepare a list of changes between interfaces and interfaces.new to know which interfaces have to be brought down - removed; brought up - added new; brough down & up - changes made
3. bring down all interfaces in list
4. bring up all interfaces in list

because of the way to "force" changes to be made on interfaces the interfaces are brought down - made inaccessible and brought back up the network connection to the VMs/CTs is broken in the meantime but should be restored when the interfaces are brought back up.

View attachment 2399

Fantastic. Just put these on my testing boxen, and it's working wonderfully. I really think something like this would be fantastic to move into the standard distro. It's not often you have to make network changes, but not having to reboot when you do is fantastic.

I suggest you add a confirmation step after step 4.

5. If network confirmation not received in [TIME PERIOD] then revert configuration back to where it was.

This should help autocorecting errors.

Serge

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!