[SOLVED] Internal network for VMs not working properly

zeta

Dec 16, 2017
Hi, i'v a setup like that:
-host
--node A -> bridged, own IP
--node B -> bridged, own IP
--node C -> NAT with host (won't expose the IP)

what i want to do is create a LAN where A B and C can communicate
The fact is that i cant add the vlan tag to A and B because they are in bridged, but C has no bridged interface so no VLAN, how can i solve that?

Edit: issue solved -> https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/separate-private-networks-for-vms.38822/#post-192035

Last edited:
Cleanest setup would be to create a new bridge on each device and use this for "internal" traffic.
Hi and thanks for the reply,
This seems a good solution but are you sure i can enable a bridged interface without assigning a public IP address to it?

Last edited:
Hi and thanks for the reply,
This seems a good solution but are you dure i can enable a bridged interface without assigning a public IP address to it?

Yes, this works, but it would not work as a solution. Sorry for misleading. You then need another device to enslave it to this interface - so forget about the new bridge.

Yet, why did you remove the bridge on the third node in the first place? You can just nat everything you want even with a bridge.

What VMs do you want to have natted on the third node?

Yes, this works, but it would not work as a solution. Sorry for misleading. You then need another device to enslave it to this interface - so forget about the new bridge.

Yet, why did you remove the bridge on the third node in the first place? You can just nat everything you want even with a bridge.

What VMs do you want to have natted on the third node?
C node is an ansible machine and what i want to do is to just connect it on the internet for updates and with A and B for executing commands on them, and i want to do that via internal network

By the way, A and B are both bridged with the main node but they cant see eachothers, is this wanted?

I want to create a situation where A, B and C can talk eachother in a private network or something similar without going public (only A and B have a public IP)

Last edited:
Update: i did the following
On host
Code:
auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet static
        address 10.0.1.1/23
        bridge_ports none
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0
        post-up /sbin/iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o vmbr0 -j MASQUERADE
        pre-down /sbin/iptables -t nat -D POSTROUTING -o vmbr0 -j MASQUERADE

On node C (the natted one)

Code:
auto ens19
iface ens19 inet static
        address 10.0.1.100
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 10.0.1.1

On node A (bridged with host)
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

allow-hotplug ens18
iface ens18 inet static
            address xx.xxx.xxx.xxx/29
            gateway xx.xxx.xxx.225
            dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8
            dns-search xxxxx.xx

auto ens19
iface ens19 inet static
            address 10.0.1.101
            netmask 255.255.255.0
            gateway 10.0.1.1

The problem is that on node C and A i get the local ip but i can't ping other hosts
Code:
sudo arp -a
?(10.0.1.1) at <incomplete> on ens19

Last edited:
You bridge does not have any ports attached.

Do you have a dedicated network for the inter-cluster communication? Do you have enough network cards to do this?

You bridge does not have any ports attached.

Do you have a dedicated network for the inter-cluster communication? Do you have enough network cards to do this?
vmbr1(ens19 on vms) is the bridge dedicated to inter-cluster communication. On the host there is also vmbr0 (ens18 on the vms) that is used for bridging node A and B with own IP and is working properly

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!