Interface missing when adding a virt adapter

darkpixel

Renowned Member
Oct 26, 2010
I have 3 physical machines clustered together named KVM1, KVM2, and KVM3.

I logged directly into the KVM3 web interface and setup vmbr100 using physical interface eth0.1.

After rebooting KVM3, eth0.1 is correctly brought up and put into the bridge vmbr100.

When I log into the cluster master (KVM1) and select a virtual machine on KVM3, select the hardware tab and add an ethernet device, vmbr100 does not show up in the 'bridge' dropdown.

When I fire up a perl instance and run the get_bridges() function, it shows the correct bridges.

Do I need to manually setup vmbr100 on all my KVM instances to get it to show up, or is it automatically synced with the other instances?

All the other network interfaces on all the machines are identical. This bridge is unique to this KVM box because I'm hosting a monitoring server that will be used to monitor devices on our management vlan.

No, network config is not synced, so you need to create that manually.

That's what I figured. So now I'm stuck with KVM3 with the correct network settings, but vmbr100 not showing up in the drop-down when setting up a new NIC.
KVM3 has been rebooted, and I've verified vmbr100 is up correctly in Linux--it just doesn't show in the Proxmox web interface.

The bridges must be "up" on the master! If you only add them at the web-interface with no physical interface connected you can simply copy /etc/network/interfaces.new to /etc/network/interfaces and do "ifup vmbr100".

Regard,
Mario

The bridges must be "up" on the master! If you only add them at the web-interface with no physical interface connected you can simply copy /etc/network/interfaces.new to /etc/network/interfaces and do "ifup vmbr100".

Regard,
Mario

If I'm understanding you correctly, I need to add the bridge to both the master, and the node that has the VM that actually needs it.

I'll give that a shot today. Thanks.

If I'm understanding you correctly, I need to add the bridge to both the master, and the node that has the VM that actually needs it.

I'll give that a shot today. Thanks.

That fixes it.

It's a bit inconvenient to not have the network settings sync *and* be required to put network settings on the master that you don't need. Then again, I don't see a better way around it at the moment... ;)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!