Intel X540 Dual Port NIC

adamb

Famous Member
Mar 1, 2012
Anyone have any experience with the Intel X540 Dual Port NIC 10baseT? Looking to move away from broadcom as it seams to be causing a ton of issues. Also open to any other 10baseT suggestions, but we really need to stick with server proven hardware. I appreciate any input!

Last edited:
Anyone have any experience with the Intel X540 Dual Port NIC 10baseT? Looking to move away from broadcom as it seams to be causing a ton of issues. Also open to any other 10baseT suggestions, but we really need to stick with server proven hardware. I appreciate any input!

Hi,
I have one 10GB Intel with dual SFP+ on proxmox running (Intel EtherExpress PRO/10GbE AF - lspci say 82599EB).
Without any issue. I haven't 10Gig-T, but I guess the driver is the same for the NIC?! (ixgbe)

Udo

I have the same in 4 Dell R515 Servers for DRBD-Replication. They are running fine also with mtu 9000. @Udo: Could I use an higher mtu than 9000 or is there a driver limitiation ?

We have intel 520 10 gbit on 3 of our dell servers. Running fine. Had some problem at first when i used 4xpciexpress. Should use 8x.

Skickat från min Nexus 7 via Tapatalk 2

I have the same in 4 Dell R515 Servers for DRBD-Replication. They are running fine also with mtu 9000. @Udo: Could I use an higher mtu than 9000 or is there a driver limitiation ?
Hi macday,
I guess you run in trouble with an higher MTU than 9000, because also switch-vendors use this size as max value for jumbo frames (and I don't think, that this improve the transfer speed noticable).

Udo

Offtopic but can someone using 10GE share their ioping results (on the external storage that is connected with 10ge)?

Thanks,
Oktay

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!