Intel Skylake iGPU (i915) breaks Proxmox 4.1

morph027

Renowned Member
Mar 22, 2013
Leipzig
morph027.gitlab.io
I've just deployed PVE 4.1 on a machine going to be a storage server (samba inside lxc). As theres not that much load, we decided to cut some money and just use an i3-6100. Installer went through without problems, but first boot hangs just 8ms after initrd's kernel kicks in. It took me a while to find out (because i've deployed almost exactly the same system last week successfully - besides the cpu being a Skylake Xeon v5) randomly disabling various kernel modules at grub cmdline. Once, last thing i saw before freezing was the drm module being loaded and i whonder why the heck i need such a thing on a server. Next boot, next try, added

modprobe.disabled=i915 modprobe.disabled=drm modprobe.disabled=drm_kms_helper

to grub kernel cmdline and it worked straight.

Add to /etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf:

blacklist drm_kms_helper
blacklist drm
blacklist i915

and run

update-initramfs -k all -u

and everything works as of next boot.

As for whoever there are also Xeons with integrated GPU, we should investigate this further.

Didn't try with older boards/cpu/pve (might try at home on my laptop). If this is a general issue, this should be added to the default installation.

Ok, just grabbed one of my lab servers ssd and booted my latest skylake notebook from it. Suprise, suprise, does work. lsmod clearly indicates the 3 modules being loaded. So it isn't a generally problem at all.

Configuration where bug occurs:

- Intel Silver Pass Xeon Board S1200SPL
- Intel Core i3-6100
- ZFS RAID1 installation on 2 Samsung SM843T (directly connected via AHCI @ onboard SATA)

If in any weird case i'll get my hands on a Xeon with integrated GPU (hopefully not ;) ), i'll test things out too.

However, just for the books, the solution in first post helped with this special issue.

Reactions: t.lamprecht
Proxmox doesn't like the Kaby Lake Xeon's with integrated graphics. A lot of random freezes with blank screens with no errors. After disabling integrated graphics in the BIOS everything worked fine. Only two whole nights of debugging (eventually I got a error to work with).

I tried proxmox 4.1, 4.3 and 4.4. All the same problem.

Configuration:
- Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6
- Supermicro X11SSH-F
- 4x Kingston Certified 16GB DDR4 2133Mhz ECC

Attachments

• photo_2017-05-06_02-44-57.jpg
    photo_2017-05-06_02-44-57.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 20

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!