Installing Proxmox with ext4 drive

QMan

Dec 23, 2018
Hi all,

Quick question - when installing Proxmox, you are presented the option of choosing which disk to install it on and some advanced configuration options (i.e. hdsize, swap file size, etc.)

if I am installing Proxmox on a device with two drives (a 500GB drive and a 1TB drive) and am planning to install Proxmox on the 500GB drive, is there any benefit to defining a minimum hdsize if I plan to use the remainder of the disk for LVM storage? Based on my understanding you can install Proxmox and instruct it to provision the entire disk and that will leave you with the remainder of the hard drive space for LVM storage.

Is there something I am overlooking (i.e. would it be better to configure the hdsize as something small, like 30GB, and then manually provision the rest of the 500GB drive for LVM)?

I appreciate any feedback! Thank you!

Last edited:
The default installation options are reasonable, so there is no need to do custom settings.

The default installation options are reasonable, so there is no need to do custom settings.

Thanks for the info! When I install Proxmox on my 500GB disk, it looks to provision about 100GB for "local" storage. Based on my understanding - I can use local storage for backups, storing ISOs, and CT Templates. But if I plan to do most (if not all) of that on an NFS share, I likely will never use that 100GB for anything.

Is there an easy way to shrink the "local" disk size? I tried referring to the Wiki (https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Resize_disks), but it seemed to me like this applied to virtual disks, and not necessarily the local disk.

I'm still somewhat new to Proxmox, so I appreciate any time to help answering my "newbie" questions :)

For custom partition layout I'd recommend to install Debian 10 and put PVE on top.
Everything else is error-prone.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!