Installing Proxmox VE 3.1 on HP Proliant server

TerraLtech

Aug 2, 2013
Lebanon
chemaly.xyz
Hi,

We recently bought a new HP server: HP ProLiant DL360e Gen8 E5-2407
I have 4 SATA Hard Disk of 1TB each.

After creating the RAID 1+0 with the "array configuration utility" and rebooting on the CD to install Proxmox VE 3.1, the array wouldn't show up in the Hard disk to select, I get only single disk!!!

Can someone help me?

Hi,

We recently bought a new HP server: HP ProLiant DL360e Gen8 E5-2407
I have 4 SATA Hard Disk of 1TB each.

After creating the RAID 1+0 with the "array configuration utility" and rebooting on the CD to install Proxmox VE 3.1, the array wouldn't show up in the Hard disk to select, I get only single disk!!!

Can someone help me?

your server should have a fake/soft raid with proxmox iso does not support.

you can either add a hw raid controller (best), or install wheezy with mdraid and then pve on top

Marco

to install,
you should have disabled soft raid (usually some POST menu or BIOS setting) before... did you?

you should see a 4 disk system, no raid at all.
then, if you want install wheezy, you can use
- 4 disks indipendently, or
- setup 4 disks LVM, or
- setup 4 disks mdraid, or
- setup 4 disks mdraid + LVM on top

Marco

to install,
you should have disabled soft raid (usually some POST menu or BIOS setting) before... did you?

you should see a 4 disk system, no raid at all.
then, if you want install wheezy, you can use
- 4 disks indipendently, or
- setup 4 disks LVM, or
- setup 4 disks mdraid, or
- setup 4 disks mdraid + LVM on top

Marco
Yes that what I just did and it worked, thank you

The server now is booting into proxmox ve 3.1
I am going to try this with mdraid :http://boffblog.wordpress.com/2013/08/22/how-to-install-proxmox-ve-3-0-on-software-raid/
Which is suggested on the proxmox wiki's page: http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Software_RAID

Anyone have better suggestions? is it better to install wheezy before and pve on top of it?

Thank you

I assume your server has Smart Array B320i/512MB FBWC controller inside (onboard). If this controller is not supported by Proxmox, I would spend some bucks for a good controller.
Software Raid might work for test or development environments but not productive use.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!