Installing proxmox on top of debian vs proxmox iso

binaryanomaly

May 11, 2018
Hi,

I plan to install proxmox on a new machine. I haven't used proxmox before but did set up quite a few debian machines already and feel very comfortable with it.

Personally I'd prefer to install proxmox on top of a pure vanilla debian.
I do not fully understand though if this is going to have some major drawbacks vs using the proxmox iso? Vice versa - what do I really gain when using the proxmox iso vs pure vanilla debian?

By just looking at the wiki page https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Stretch I do not get the impression that it is a highly complex or high effort undertaking?

May someone be so kind and explain the differences/advantages a bit so I may be able to take an informed decision?

Thanks a lot
- b

It's quite easy, but the installation CD can setup the local storage automatically, for example using LVM-thin or ZFS RAID. You need to do that setup manually.

Reactions: binaryanomaly

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!