[SOLVED] Installed Proxmox 5.1 on 2 TB hard drive but only 88 GB is being used?

emmanuel

Dec 5, 2017
Hello!

I haven't tried installing proxmox to a high volume drive and once I did on my 2 TB hard drive the root directory is only shown to be using up 88 GB. Can anyone please help me initialize the big chunk of the unused area in my 2 TB hard drive?

Thank you!

Look in LVM in console

pvs
vgs
lvs

This is what I got:
>>>pvs:
PV VG Fmt Attr PSize PFree
/dev/sda3 pve lvm2 a-- 1.82t 15.78g
>>>vgs:
VG #PV #LV #SN Attr VSize VFree
pve 1 3 0 wz--n- 1.82t 15.78g
>>>lvs
LV VG Attr LSize Pool Origin Data% Meta% Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
data pve twi-a-tz-- 1.70t 0.00 0.42
root pve -wi-ao---- 96.00g
swap pve -wi-ao---- 7.00g

Nevermind, got to initialize the lvm-thin partition so I referred to this:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/LVM2

There are other few sites that helped me as well but since I'm a new member I can't post multiple links to threads so if anyone wants to know feel free to message me so I can also help you out.
Hope this helps someone out there in the future if they run into the same thing, thanks and consider this thread solved!

Reactions: fireon
It's ok. This is only root. This is the default directory for storing ISO's, Containertemplates and other things. The storage for VM's are
Code:
data pve twi-a-tz-- 1.70t 0.00 0.42
so you have the whole space. At installation wizard you had the possibility to set the size of root and swap. If not, pve set this automaticly depending on the whole storage space.

@emmanuel please set your thread to solved by edit title. Thanks!

Reactions: emmanuel

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!