[SOLVED] Install Debug Mode hangs

nasenmann72

Renowned Member
Dec 9, 2008
Germany, Saarland
Hello,

my ZFS boot mirror is broken, so I wanted to fix this reinstalling grub again, but I do not have a chance to boot in debug mode. When I choose this boot option then after reaching the console my system (Intel CPU) freezes. I can only push the reset button.

I've also used an other completly different system (AMD CPU) where I connected my boot disks. Same behaviour. I am stuck.

Are there any Kernel options I could try to boot into debug mode? Is it possible that this is a bug in the ISO? Can anyone reproduce freezing the machine when booting the ISO to debug mode?

Thanks!

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
I have the same problem too - a broken ZFS grub, and no keyboard input over my supermicro IPMI.
The IPMI keyboard works fine when I boot with other distro's ISOs, and the keyboard works normally after I install Proxmox, so something seems to be weird with the proxmox v4.x ISO.

I did discover that using the v3.4 ISO worked with my IPMI keyboard, so at least there is something!

Last edited:
the keyboard debug shell issue should be fixed in the next round of iso releases. you don't need debug mode to fix a broken grub though - "rescue mode" should be enough?

That's great to hear! :)
The rescue mode on v4.4 couldn't find it - it hangs for a long while and then outputs:

error: failure reading sector 0x0 from `fd0'.
error: no such device: rpool.
ERROR: unable to find boot disk automatically.

When I run ls (hd0,gpt2), I get the same, with a:

No known filesystem detected - Paritition start at 1024KiB - Total size 3xxxxxxxKiB

I followed what was posted here:
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/grub2-recovery-on-zfs-proxmox-ve-3-4.21306/#post-108466
and can see the ZFS just fine, but that didn't solve my grub problems.

That's great to hear! :)
The rescue mode on v4.4 couldn't find it - it hangs for a long while and then outputs:

error: failure reading sector 0x0 from `fd0'.
error: no such device: rpool.
ERROR: unable to find boot disk automatically.

When I run ls (hd0,gpt2), I get the same, with a:

No known filesystem detected - Paritition start at 1024KiB - Total size 3xxxxxxxKiB

I followed what was posted here:
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/grub2-recovery-on-zfs-proxmox-ve-3-4.21306/#post-108466
and can see the ZFS just fine, but that didn't solve my grub problems.

what does just "ls" and "set" output?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!