Initialize Disk with GPT as it is grayed out: ML350 Gen10 TW Xeon 4208

kohle

Jan 22, 2021
Hi,

i am struggling to setup the Proxmox on HP ML350 Gen10.
I have 3 HDD's build in.
1 HDD exclusively for Proxmox and 2 as VM-storage.

HDD Config:
HDD1 = VM Container (HDD1 + 2 are an HP Raid 1)
HDD2 = VM Container (HDD2 + 2 are an HP Raid 1)

HDD 3 = Proxmox

I was able to install Proxmox on HDD3 and I can enter the Web interface. I am having problems to get the HDD1+2 utilized in Proxmox. In the menu (webinterface) Disk I can see the /dev/sdb disk but the Initialize Disk with GPT as it is grayed out.

After googeling and some commands in shell I still did not made it.
Can someone help me to guide me through here?
What precondition I do need on the HDD that I can use the HDD’s in Proxmox ?

prox1.JPG

Hi,
the disk is already initialized with GPT (there's a yes in that column, the header is cut off G.. in your screenshot). Also there are partitions on the disk (Usage is partitions). You can use your favorite tool to check/configure the partitions (not possible in the web interface).

Just create filesystems on the partitions (if there are not already some), mount them on the host and add a directory based storage via Datacenter > Storage > Add > Directory. If you want to use the disk in some other way and don't need the data that's currently on it anymore, you need to wipe it first, e.g. with wipefs.

hi,
thx for your help!
i have nothing importent on the HDD therefore i used wipefs following:
wipefs --all --force /dev/sdb

prox2.JPGprox3.JPGprox4.JPG

Do i need to add additional commands to get it working in Proxmox

THX THX!!

Attachments

• prox2.JPG
    prox2.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Seems like it cannot create the filesystem for some reason. Could you share the output of the task log (bottom panel in the GUI, double click on the entry Directory storage test - Create)?

Seems like wipedisk wasn't thorough enough. You can try using sgdisk -Z /dev/sdb which should clear all MBR and GPT information and then try again.

Alternatively you can just execute the mkfs command yourself and type y to proceed. But then you'll have to mount the filesystem yourself and create the directory storage via Datacenter > Storage > Add > Directory.

Seems like wipedisk wasn't thorough enough. You can try using sgdisk -Z /dev/sdb which should clear all MBR and GPT information and then try again.

Code:
root@basic4web:~# sgdisk -Z /dev/sdb
Creating new GPT entries.
GPT data structures destroyed! You may now partition the disk using fdisk or
other utilities.

no sucess to create a Folder

# /sbin/sgdisk -n1 -t1:8300 /dev/sdb
Creating new GPT entries.
The operation has completed successfully.
# /sbin/mkfs -t ext4 /dev/sdb1
mke2fs 1.44.5 (15-Dec-2018)
Found a dos partition table in /dev/sdb1
Proceed anyway? (y,N)
TASK ERROR: command '/sbin/mkfs -t ext4 /dev/sdb1' failed: exit code 1

Alternatively you can just execute the mkfs command yourself and type y to proceed. But then you'll have to mount the filesystem yourself and create the directory storage via Datacenter > Storage > Add > Directory.

i have done now following:
1.) kill with: sgdisk -Z /dev/sdb
2.) /sbin/mkfs -t ext4 /dev/sdb

Now i have a Folder

Just for my understanding: i have 2 HDD's build in the HP server and configured a Raid 1 (in the HP Bios) No I created a Folder on this HDD’s where I will store the VM’s. (this is the plan)

Performance wise – is that the way I should go ?

What about the ZFS ?
Sorry for my incompetence’s

i have done now following:
1.) kill with: sgdisk -Z /dev/sdb
2.) /sbin/mkfs -t ext4 /dev/sdb

Now i have a Folder
If you didn't do so already, you should create an entry in /etc/fstab to make sure the file system always gets mounted on boot. As I already wrote, you can go to Datacenter > Storage > Add > Directory in the UI. Just input the path to your directory there and select the appropriate content types. Then PVE is ready to use the storage.

Just for my understanding: i have 2 HDD's build in the HP server and configured a Raid 1 (in the HP Bios) No I created a Folder on this HDD’s where I will store the VM’s. (this is the plan)

Performance wise – is that the way I should go ?
That highly depends on the workloads and hardware. For basic setups it should be fine.

What about the ZFS ?
Do you mean the rpool the system is installed on? You could use that for VM or container images as well. But you'll have to be a bit more careful with monitoring. With ZFS, it's always good to have some extra free space, a rule of thumb is ca. 20% free I think.

Sorry for my incompetence’s
No need to be sorry. We all need to start somewhere.

Hi Fabian

thx for your hints - you saved my day
I have now a VM (win10) running and the performance is quite good.
THX for your Support!

br

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!