Info about cluster network

decibel83

Renowned Member
Oct 15, 2008
Hi,
I read the info on the page https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Cluster_Manager#_cluster_network, expecially the chapter Network Requirements:

The network should not be used heavily by other members, ideally corosync runs on its own network. never share it with network where storage communicates too.

For this reason I understand that it's better to create a separate network for the cluster communication, and this is completely reasonable.

What I want to better understand is the reason of this advise. If it's for bandwidth reason or something else?

I am asking this because my cluster nodes has 2 network interfaces which I am using as a bonding interface on LAG and 802.3ad LACP protocol. For this reason I cannot reserve dedicated interfaces and switches to the cluster network, but I could create a dedicated VLAN for the cluster communication. Is it enough or should I add some Quality of Service policy on the cluster VLAN to ensure it has sufficient bandwidth every time?

Thank you very much!
Bye

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!