Influence guest from host

jac2703

Apr 3, 2012
Hi guys,

At a high level, I am trying to get my guest to execute a particular script. The catch, however, is that I want to issue this command from the host.

Ideally, on my host I would like to say something like some-qemu-command runonguest vmid path/to/script but I fully expect this to be impossible. I would be happy with having a daemon running on the guest, constantly polling for something to change which would be done from the host. Does anyone have any ideas?

I should qualify a few points:
  • There are a number of different scripts I would like to run, depending on the instruction from the host (lets say < 50 different scripts).
  • The guest is Windows Server 2008 R2.

Any help, or thoughts would be most appreciated.

James.

Hi guys,

At a high level, I am trying to get my guest to execute a particular script. The catch, however, is that I want to issue this command from the host.

Ideally, on my host I would like to say something like some-qemu-command runonguest vmid path/to/script but I fully expect this to be impossible. I would be happy with having a daemon running on the guest, constantly polling for something to change which would be done from the host. Does anyone have any ideas?

I should qualify a few points:
  • There are a number of different scripts I would like to run, depending on the instruction from the host (lets say < 50 different scripts).
  • The guest is Windows Server 2008 R2.

Any help, or thoughts would be most appreciated.

James.

Several things come to mind. Have you thought about using CIFS shares to:
create a semaphore (if file exists do this command then delete the file)
create a drop file (if file exists open it and do what it says then delete it)

look into running your scripts via a service then use net rpc commands from the host

Not really complete "cut and paste" solutions but they should get you going in the right direction.

Several things come to mind. Have you thought about using CIFS shares to:
create a semaphore (if file exists do this command then delete the file)
create a drop file (if file exists open it and do what it says then delete it)

look into running your scripts via a service then use net rpc commands from the host

Not really complete "cut and paste" solutions but they should get you going in the right direction.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replys.

I am going to take the route of using a NFS/ apache server to drive the scripts. A script on each guest will poll 'something' (NFS/ Apache/ etc.) and action as required.

Just a note: We are not able to use a guest agent as the VM needs to be portable to other Hypervisors such as VirtualBox. My experience is that guest agents can massively complicate this.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!