Import vmware image - new!

Cecil

Sep 22, 2017
So I've looked at a ton of guides on this and they all want to make cows (qcow files) but I'm using lvm-thin on proxmox 5 which no longer does qcow I believe..

So I found a guide that says to just extract the ova file and then use the command: qm importovf

No problemo, I have a usb drive attached already, I used sftp to upload the extracted files, ran the command: qm importovf 2010 watchguard-dimension_2_1_1_U2_signed.ovf local-lvm

Nice.. all worked it created a new VM, I had to change the ram from 2mb to 2gb and added a e1000 network adaptor, and START! but then I get:

"Gave up waiting for root device.
ALERT! /dev/disk/by-label/wgrd.root does not exist. Dropping to shell

So I figured hmm okay upon closer inspection it created the disks exactly to their min size, 2.33gb and a few kb for the second disk.

I tried the entire thing again this time after more reading I did:
qm importovf 2020 watchguard-dimension_2_1_1_U2_signed.ovf local-lvm --format raw
and the resized the disks by adding 100gb to each.

Same error :(

I'm not sure what to do next, it looks like the disks are not detected as devices at all, I definitely see the disks in the lvm storage but when I try to see them in the shell after the error there is nothing under /dev/ that corresponds to a disk at all.
Nothing in /dev/mapper either :(

Please help, I can't find any updated guides on this.

I stumbled upon this guide this morning that's designed for lvm-thin storage!
Maybe proxmox documentation can include something like this as well?
https://www.sysorchestra.com/2017/0...to-proxmox-kvm-with-lvm-thin-logical-volumes/

Anyway it gave me the exact same result :( I'm not sure what to do next. I've googled the error a million times and it's never in a VM setting and seems to be something wrong with the boot loader or something :(

Anyone have any ideas of what I can do to try and fix this?

*EDIT*
I found my problem!! The disks were created as Scsi by default, i detached them and added them back as SATA and now it boots! :D

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!