Import from XenServer

Alessandro 123

May 22, 2016
I've seen that PVE 5 has a better import feature
With this version is possible to directly import a VM export taken from XenServer without using xenmigrate?

Reactions: Caglar Demirtas
Reactions: Caglar Demirtas
the key point is, are you able to export to OVA/OVF format ?

if you can do a OVA/OVF export from xen, then just extract the vmdk disk image from the export and run

qm importdisk 999 mydisk.vmdk my_storage

see https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/ch...ing_virtual_machines_from_foreign_hypervisors

I'm able to export both XVA (preferred method because I can export via CLI) or OVA/OVF.
In both cases I have to first export the disk image? Isn't possible to make a single step ?

Exporting and the importing takes times. In example, a 200GB VM could require 30 minutes to be extracted and a little bit more to be imported.

The ability to directly import (importing while extracting) will reduce the import time, that is what I need.

@fireon:
you can import raw, qcow2, vmdk
in case you have a OVA export, you have to unpack the ova ( it's a tar archive) to get the disk image. Usually this will be in vmdk format although the standard does not mandate it.

Then use the qm importdisk command above with the disk image.

Reactions: fireon
@fireon:
you can import raw, qcow2, vmdk
in case you have a OVA export, you have to unpack the ova ( it's a tar archive) to get the disk image. Usually this will be in vmdk format although the standard does not mandate it.

Then use the qm importdisk command above with the disk image.
Ok. Thank you for the information... this sounds nice. I'll test this with next Citrix Migration.

I have successfully imported an xva file. No OVA... because i can't find option's on CLI to export as OVA.

1. Exprt XVA
  2. unzip XVA
  3. Convert to raw with xenmigrate
  4. Import disk
  5. Remove old drivers... but it is better to do this as first point... this was only a test for me.
BTW: Does an import from VHD also works? Or must i convert this files first like:
Code:
qemu-img convert -O qcow2 Bench-Dev.vhdx /var/lib/vz/images/112/vm-112-disk-1.qcow2

BTW: Does an import from VHD also works? Or must i convert this files first like:
Tested and works without extra convert, with an export from an hyperV :)
Code:
qm importdisk 993 Systemcenter_F.vhdx local -format qcow2

Hi all,
I just try Proxmox 6.2, I am trying to import the harddisk image from hyper-v. Do I still need to convert vhdx file to qcow2, and import to VM?
I used Startwind to convert vdhx to qcow2 then copy over to Promox server.
next use
qm importdisk 101 test.qcow2 local -format qcow2

However, I still can't boot from it.
Can anyone correct what I do wrong/missed, please?
Thank you.

However, I still can't boot from it.
Can anyone correct what I do wrong/missed, please?

I just moved from Xen (not XenServer) to PM.... I had to boot each VM from its install media, then re-create the initramfs for the kernel entries. After this, I could boot normally...

If you were using PVH or PV based VMs in Xen, you'll need to fix the disk layout and install grub onto the guest disk while booted into the install media.

If you only had a filesystem on the raw qcow - ie no partitions etc - then you're going to have a bad time and rebuild the images by hand to include a disk partition and install grub by hand...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!