Image templates on CephFS shared storage only appear on one node?

victorhooi

Apr 3, 2018
Hi,

I have a 3-node Proxmox and Ceph cluster.

I am using Ceph RADOS for VM storage, and also CephFS to store some image templates.

I can see the image templates under the first server - however, they are not seen under servers 3 and 4:

KzTCa2B.png

I would have thought since CephFS is shared storage across the three servers, they'd appear on server's 2 and 3 as well.

Is there any way to get the image templates created on server 1 to also appear on servers 2 and 3?

Thanks,
Victor

Is there any way to get the image templates created on server 1 to also appear on servers 2 and 3?
No. But when you clone it, then you can specify the target node for the clone.

Ah got it - but say we lose one node 1 - then we no longer have access to the image templates (even though they're stored in CephFS, which would still be available across the other 2 nodes).

And if we make copies of those image templates on each machine - then it'd use up 3x the amount of storage on CephFS (I assume it doesn't do de-duplication).

Do you think it makes sense to make image templates on shared storage somehow visible in the menu on different nodes?

A template created of an VM/CT is stored as RBD image on Ceph, not on CephFS. But in any case, the config file of the template is in /etc/pve/nodes/<node name>/<qemu-server or lxc>/. You can either copy them by hand or let HA move them (state stopped).

Reactions: smsks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!