Ideas on Migrating from oVirt

stinnux

Dec 14, 2016
Hi,

we are in the process of migrating from oVirt with iSCSI-Storage to Proxmox with CEPH Storage.

We already confirmed that it is possible to use a Backup-Volume created by oVirt, copy it to a local storage device on proxmox and then convert it to ceph storage.

However, this is a long process with many steps. We would prefer to copy over directly from the iscsi logical volume to ceph. We already know how to find at the volume id using the ovirt api. But we currently do not know how to transfer the volume to a ceph volume on proxmox.

Looking at the rest api it seems that it is only possible to upload templates and ISO images using the /storage/upload function.

Is their another way to upload the image? Any other ideas on converting an oVirt Installation to proxmox?

Hi,

You can use qemu-img to transfer direct to ceph.
but this works only with offline VM's.

Or you use the iscsi direct in the new PVE cluster and move it then with move disk to ceph.

Hi,

thanks for your answer.

i've tried importing a qcow2 into ceph using qemu-img:

qemu-img convert -p -f qcow2 -O rbd ste-wts.qcow2 rbd:ceph/ste-wts2

But i cannot see the image in the web interface. do they need to have a specific naming scheme or do i need to reload sth?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!