Icinga

Kynao

Dec 21, 2010
Icinga https://www.icinga.org/ which i suggest to add/suppress hosts automatically into the monitoring when a vm node is created/suppressed/renamed
and groups/services into Proxmox when they are identified/defined into the monitoring solution.

I do not understand your post, try to be clearer in your posts.

Yes i can be clearer in this post : i suggest to support icinga as a monitoring solution in the purpose of introducing interactions with promox.
As mentionned, creating, suppressing and renaming VM are some examples of proxmox events, so it's possible to reflect them on a monitoring solution
=> this is useful, this saves time, this brings confort, this avoid errors ...

there are a lot using icinga, so what do you miss, it can be used already.

It seems it's my turn to not understand the post.
Icinga is a software, a software can be used, people use software, i fully agree on each point :),
i wrote a proposition, so what i miss is an answer if someone is interested to offer it

This page is already in my bookmarks for several days... prove that i searched the forum & docu ... but still nothing related with my proposition to establish a relation between Icinga and Proxmox when some particular events occur (like the events previously mentionned)

Kynao - where were the events previously mentioned? I am trying to follow... in the mean time thanks for the pointer to icinga , which I never heard of.

with 30,000+ packages in Debian Squeeze , and things like that to add on it is good to get suggestions like icinga .

and i'm trying a find another different way of explaining but i will soon need screenshots :)
Let's try this way :
- You're a proxmox administrator living in los angeles
- Alice, your friend, is an Icinga administrator living in New York

One day, because you are in a good mood, you decide to create a vm on proxmox called "Damned good Windows VM"
=> because my proposition has been accepted and implemented into proxmox, Alice will see in her Icinga monitoring panel, a new node appear and called "Damned good Windows VM" on which an automatic autodiscovery service is started. The discovered services are HTTP, HTTPS, SMTP, IMAP, LDAP in this example. As a result, these informations are given back and you in Los angeles, in front of proxmox, you see that your "Damned good Windows VM" is now populated with new information corresponding to the discovered services. You also could follow the provided link to go into Icinga and directly to the "Damned good Windows VM" node for the details.

This is a "add event", that is create a node on proxmox, Icinga is informed and start adapted process to give back results to proxmox.
There are other events in proxmox like suppressing a vm, renaming a vm.
There are other events in Icinga like services changing on a given node over time.

I don't know Icinga from a long time either, only 3 weeks ago. In my evaluations, i were more on the "new" kids on the block ZenOss, Zabbix... vs the old nagios but even if Icinga is among the ones based on nagios, i'm more and more in the process to forget ZenOSS and the others, so here is my suggestion also based on the fact that nothing like that has been implemented into proxmox or even announced and still represent a great potential added value close to a killing feature.

Last edited:
I'm currently learning Java and Bonita, so no we can't say yet that i'm writting code

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!