Greece
Hi there,

My ISP provided me with the following public IPs

XX.XX.199.170 - XX.XX.199.174
mask: 255.255.255.248
GW: XX.XX.199.169
Dns servers: 217.16.112.21

The IPs are in the /29 range not /24
I already use .170 for a router with dchp for wifi and LAN (192.168.0.1- range)
I use 171-172 on PCs so I have 2 spare ones XX.XX.199.174 and XX.XX.199.173
I have a spare router I can use as a switch if needed.

My questions are:

I want to use proxmox to host 1 CT for owncloud (maybe I will add another CTs later if I get more public IPs)
I want the VM to be accessed from the internet via the public IP XX.XX.199.173
(if I can access them from the LAN too, I would be happy)
I tried all sorts of configurations... nothing worked.
Ideally i do not want the proxmox host to be accessible from the internet, just from the lan, if that cannot be done, I'm OK with the public IP XX.XX.199.174

I tried all sorts of configurations, nothing worked :( and I'm ready to give up
(I am ready to format the server and I will start with a clean install of proxmox, or just quit trying it...)

Please advise on the network configuration on both the host and the VMs.

If you could post the /etc/network/interfaces I should put on both the host and the VM I would be grateful :)

PS
The server has 4 NICs I wouldn't mind using them all if that's what it takes.
This is a home installation, meaning I have physical access to all the equipment.

Last edited:
In your case I would do the following:
* configure your proxmox host and containers with fix LAN IPs
* on the firewall/router add all the public IP you want to be joinable ( hopefully your router/firewall supports that. If not if would be time to swich to pfsense for instance)
* on the firewall/router you do port forwarding and redirect to traffic coming for instance for XX.XX.199.173 port 80 to the container 192.168.0.240 port 80

that way you don't have to make the pve host accessible on the internet, and you have max security since you need to explicitely allow on your router / firewall which ports will be open on the container

Thanks for your answer.
I do not think my router supports that, (old adsl netgear one)
Can you suggest a router (not very expensive) that can do that.

If I decide to install pfsense where will I do that? on a VM OR on the proxmox server?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!